question

Taran Saini avatar image
Taran Saini asked

Contact email is occasionally being updated with empty value

A lot of our players have been unable to verify their email address. Upon further inspection, we found that this was due to the contact field sometimes either not getting updated or being updated with an empty value.

screenshot.png (43.8 KiB)
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

That is strange, according to your description, every player who uses email to log in, should have updated contact email.

It can be caused by the profile initialization process, because it takes some time (usually a few minutes) to initialize the player profiles if they are creating a new one. The process you have mentioned seems to directly call AddOrUpdateContactEmail when the account is created, sometimes there can be issues. When the Profiles are in that state, any profiles related data updates should cause error.

I will suggest modifying the contact email update process, and maybe you may add a button, which allows the players for a manual link. Otherwise, you should let the client pend for a while before the automatic update process begins.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Taran Saini avatar image Taran Saini commented ·

Okay, thanks. I can see how this would affect the first-time login however our process should call AddOrUpdateContactEmail as long as the player contact email is empty (regardless of whether its the player's first login or second login or Nth login).

Also is there a reason why the email in the title player account isn't automatically set as the email in the master player account (Playfab login email) and why is the verification based on the contact email and not on the Playfab login email. Wouldn't this verification process be flawed since if a player creates a new account, the "contact" email is empty by default so there is no verification involved with the Playfab email login and therefore a player could create an account with a fake email address?
0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ Taran Saini commented ·

It is by design. The current login email will be more like username for easy memory. It does have receiving email features only in some specific scenario. Please also feel free to send a thread on the Feature Requests forum.

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

I have tried to reproduce this issue, but I won’t get a pending state with an empty Contact Email as the status will be “unverified” when the email is removed.

Is the issue that players cannot update the contact email? Do you have any reproduction steps?

PlayFab offers an automatic verifying email tutorial on Using a Rule to Verify a Contact Email Address - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs. Have you referred this document to implement the email verification process?

10 |1200

Taran Saini avatar image
Taran Saini answered

Hi @SethDu thank you for replying. We currently use the implementation provided by the document you have linked in our game. I'll explain all process related to contact email for our game.

Registered players log into our game via LoginWithEmail PlayFab API call. If successfully, we then store Email and Password (to be used for automatic login next time) in PlayerPrefs. After that, we retrieve the player's profile via GetPlayerProfile call. If successful we check to see if the player has a contact email. If not, we call the AddOrUpdateContactEmail API call using the Email address the player log in with. If they do have a contact email then we store it in a public variable.

In player account setting (menu UI in our game) the player can see the verification status of their email and have the option of resending the verification email (we call AddOrUpdateContactEmail again with same values to trigger verification email rule in PlayFab Manager).

The issue seems to be that players are updating their contact email address with empty values which should not be the case (AddOrContactEmail would produce an error if the email parameter is empty and we have their email address since they had to use it to log-in). Because of this players can't verify their email.

1 comment
10 |1200

Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ commented ·

Contact email and Login email are different. There is no need to verify the login email. Empty contact email with pending state surely is not a normal circumstance. May I ask does this issue occur on other players? If it is a rare case, I think a manual fix should work.

0 Likes 0 ·
Taran Saini avatar image
Taran Saini answered

Hi, I would say roughly 1 in 10 players are experiencing empty contact emails but not all of these players have the verification status as pending. Most of the players just have an empty contact email.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.