question

giorgiotino avatar image
giorgiotino asked

Is Facebook Limited Login supported already?

Starting from January 19, 2021 Facebook released SDK 9.0 - this included the new Limited Login mode:

Their announcement says (https://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/2021/01/19/facebook-login-updates-new-limited-data-mode):

Limited Login mode is based on the OpenID Connect standard, and allows users to create new accounts or access existing accounts on your app while only sharing their name, profile pic, and (optionally) email address. Note that Limited Login mode utilizes a JSON Web Token which does not support Graph API queries.

I am wondering what exactly this may imply for PlayFab Facebook Login and Tokens, especially when it comes to Friends Leaderboards - if I switch to Unity SDK 9.0+ and I rely on the Limited Login mode what should I expect?

Thanks!

apisunity3dsdks
    10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
    Seth Du avatar image
    Seth Du answered

I am not familiar with Limited Login mode, but PlayFab supports Open ID connection as there are APIs provided in the SDK

Admin API:

• CreateOpenIdConnection
    • DeleteOpenIdConnection
    • ListOpenIdConnection
    • UpdateOpenIdConnection

Client API:

• LinkOpenIdConnect
    • LoginWithOpenIdConnect
    • UnlinkOpenIdConnect

It will be OK to use Open ID connect for login. Meanwhile the Facebook profile simply depends on the behavior of Facebook configurations. In my point of view, as you have mentioned “while only sharing their name, profile pic, and (optionally) email address”, I don’t think login with method will expose any Facebook data through PlayFab like Friend list or Leaderboard. I believe you will need to test on your own as currently there is no official documentation stating the behavior of Facebook Limited Login mode.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.