question

Constantin Beer avatar image
Constantin Beer asked

Limits - Data Value Updates Per 15 Secs, 5 Mins and 1 Hr

I got a few questions about the Player/Character data value updates per certain time periods.

Right now my account is in the free tier and development mode. But my goal is to publish a first version of my game In the play store/app store hopefully in the end of this year.

So if I change from the free-tier to the Pay-as-you-go or Standard Plan does this change the current limits?

If no, is it possible to increase them and if so, how much of an increase would/could this be and would this cost extra , if so how much extra?

It would feel little strange to me if there would be limits on one of the chargeable plans, since these limits would prevent producing more income for PlayFab.

So in case there are no changes for the limits in the other plans, why would PlayFab do that?

Title Datalimits
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The limit on the number of changes to a single key/value pair, one a single player account, within a short period of time, is a basic limit of the service that protects the performance of all titles. It's certainly possible to work with you to stand up custom service resources that can handle higher limits, it's just that this would be limited to our Enterprise tier, which is for developers with costs exceeding $10K per month. If that's what you're looking into, please feel free to reach out to us here: Contact us (playfab.com)

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Constantin Beer avatar image Constantin Beer commented ·

Thanks Brendan for your quick response.

I'm building an idle game in which I do a lot through cloud script functions which produces many calls to characters title data. Mainly to prevent cheating by the client.

Do you have any recommendations to reduce the API calls and still be able to avoid cheating by the client?
The only thing spontaneously coming up in my mind would be to use player title data since the limits there are higher. But I really don't know if this will be enough in the future when the game gets more and more features.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Constantin Beer commented ·

Most idle games aggregate data from player input over time, and only periodically update the service-stored data. Updating every time a player clicks a) would be very expensive, since pricing is based on actual consumption, and b) is actually harder to check for cheating, unless you're pulling recent action information from the service, driving up your usage costs further. If you only have the client update every minute (or even every give minutes), you have all the things the player did throughout that period, making it much easier to decide whether the client is submitting bogus values or too-frequent updates. I'd recommend reviewing this document: PlayFab Consumption Best Practices - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs

Also, no, player title data does not have a higher rate - it's also limited to a max of 10 updates to a single KVP per 15 seconds.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.