question

tldQuantic avatar image
tldQuantic asked

Playfab authentication with the same userID for several users

Hello,

We planned to release our game to the DMM platform: https://games.dmm.com/en/

As this platform doesn’t provide any SDK like Steam or Epic, we can’t get a unique user id for each user.

I was wondering if we could use a unique userID for all DMM users?

These users will only have access to limited features provided by Playfab, just read-only Playfab functions as getting shared/title datas.

Is this something possible?

If yes, is there some limitations by using this workaround?
If no, do you have some suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Authentication
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

If you cannot get a unique (and reliably secret) unique user identifier from that platform, and it does not offer an OpenID Connect auth token, then you would need to use one of our other auth mechanisms, which would include generating and saving a unique GUID locally, to use in the Custom ID login (Authentication - Login With Custom ID (PlayFab Client) | Microsoft Docs). As long as you're insuring that ever player has a unique ID, that would be fine.

So, to be clear (based on your subject line), no, you should never use the same login credential for more than one user.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

tldQuantic avatar image tldQuantic commented ·

Ok, I was expecting this answer :)

My only concern is to generate a unique ID which will be unique across all users in order to avoid collisions.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.