question

Ozan Yilmaz avatar image
Ozan Yilmaz asked

Can I use Telemetry System to collect crash/bug reports?

Hello everyone,

I want to collect data about crashes and bugs in the game. I found that PlayFab has its own Telemetry system. I wonder if I can do these things with the system:

- I have given every possible errors/bugs in the game unique numbers. Can I collect those numbers as the players produce those errors/bugs? Basically, I want to save the player's display name and the error code when something happens in the game.

- Can I see which error code occurred most? (Ordering reports depending on how many times they are reported)

- What kind of filters can I apply to the Telemetry events? (e.g. filtering by display name, which is given to the system while sending an event)

- Where can I see the telemetry events?

EDIT: I managed to send and check the telemetry events. I have a few further questions.

- Should I send telemetry events one by one, or should I accumulate them locally and send them all in one call?

- Can I get the telemetry events by using Admin API? If so, can I see which error code occurred most and can I filter them?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

>>I want to save the player's display name and the error code when something happens in the game.

Yes, but your game client should have a crash report feature to send the API so that the events/Telemetry events will be recorded in your title. You can define any customized properties in the request of corresponding API calls.

>>Can I see which error code occurred most? & What kind of filters can I apply to the Telemetry events?

You are able to run customized query and generate any analytical result via PlayFab Explorer(advanced). It is based on Azure Data Explorer, which is using Kusto Query Language. You may group the entries via Event Name and output the counts.

>> Where can I see the telemetry events

Along with general PlayStream Events, you are able to see and use Telemetry events in Data Explorer(basic) and Data Explorer(advanced). Please note that Event History will be deprecated soon.

>> Should I send telemetry events one by one, or should I accumulate them locally and send them all in one call?

Both should be fine. Just remember not surpassing the general API limits, which is an upper bound of 100 API calls from an individual client IP in a 2-minute window.

>> Can I get the telemetry events by using Admin API?

No, there is no PlayFab APIs that supports the retrieval of events. However, I am not sure if it is available from Azure portal. You may find the support from Azure team. Possibly you may use the Kusto C# SDK (or other tools) to query events: Connecting Kusto C# SDK to Insights - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.