question

Zachary Harland avatar image
Zachary Harland asked

I have an existing Java backend with user data stored in MYSQL, want to move that data to PlayFab.

Hi there,

I help manage & run a rather small game. We have maybe 200 users at most.

We've been running SmartFoxServer 2X as our backend & using MYSQL to store player data.

We don't want to use the multiplayer section of PlayFab, as we still want to use SmartFox as the realtime communicator. However, we do want to run PlayFab alongside SmartFox to utilize it's play storage, currency, catalog, etc. types of features.

From what I'm to understand, we need to migrate our player data to PlayFab, we're not looking to retain values besides their username, email, password, and currency count.

But the documentation has my head spinning a bit, and perhaps one of you could point me in the right direction? Like I said we're SmartFox as the backend right now, which uses Java. There are servlets we can use to POST & GET, but a part from that, I'm not really sure where to start in regards to getting our data over to PlayFab. Also, player passwords are stored in BCrypt so we'll need to retain that encryption. Not sure if PlayFab is capable of that.

Player Datadata
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

Currently, importing users data directly from MySQL to PlayFab is not supported. I would recommend that implementing PlayFab in parallel to your existing backend services, so that you can create player accounts in PlayFab service as players sign in. However, the PlayFab does not support authentication with BCrypt, the players may have to pass their password directly into PlayFab. For game currency, you can upload JSON to PlayFab in [Your GameManager]->[Economy]->[Currency]. You can also upload your catalogs in [Your GameManager]->[Economy]->[Catalogs]. For players’ currency, you can grant the players with currency in PlayFab using AddUserVirtualCurrency API.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Zachary Harland avatar image Zachary Harland commented ·

Thank you, this helped point me in the right direction, we've updated the flow of the login to retain our BCrypt security in our initial backend while still being able to login and register PlayFab accounts separately.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.