question

Matt avatar image
Matt asked

Server costs for legacy server

Hey folks,

I'm just inquiring about a cost I received for what looks to be 2 months in a row. I was charged $52.64 (plus the Playfab fee which is fine). I remember doing the math awhile ago with the numbers provided, and I think it was roughly half of that. My game ID is AC50 and it's in regards to my legacy server running in 1 region, US East.

Thanks for the help and info!

-Matt

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

An on-demand, Windows t2.medium in AWS EC2 (the server in this case) is $0.0644 per hour (EC2 On-Demand Instance Pricing – Amazon Web Services). Times 24 hours and 31 days, that's $47.9136. With the 10% we charge to cover our overhead, that would be $52.70.

I'd really recommend moving to our newer Azure hosting. We provide 750 free hours per month (of Av2 or Fv2 servers, specifically in East US or Northern Europe datacenters) so that you can get through your development and testing while keeping your costs down.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Matt avatar image Matt commented ·

I see, so the price from Amazon may have gone up.

As far as migrating to the Azure hosting...it seems like a pretty big task, is it not? My game is 100% done, it's publicly released and just requires marketing now. Could you give me an idea on what would be involved in converting? There's a pretty large amount of code in my server project, as well as the client-side.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Matt commented ·

It's only a recommendation - if you're at the point where it's too much trouble, no worries. Moving to use the Azure hosting would require integration with the GSDK (PlayFab/gsdkSamples: Samples that show how to use PlayFab's Gameserver SDK for Multiplayer Servers (github.com)), but it would give you better debugging options (being able to remote into the servers, for example), and it would likely reduce your costs (especially given that you can run in container instances in our Azure hosting).

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.