question

Bijian Wu avatar image
Bijian Wu asked

RequestMultiplayerServer VS GetMatch Allocated server

Hi, I trying to figure out what is the differences between RequestMultiplayerServer and GetMatch Allocated server.

I am currently using GetMatch with Allocated server, because it automatically spin up and down the server as player request increases or decreases.

but what about RequestMultiplayerServer API, does it also automatically spin up and down the server?

Because I am planning to create my own Matchmaking Server using RequestMultiplayerServer, because your PlayFab matchmaking does not have a proper lobby system. does RequestMultiplayerServer work almost the same way as GetMatch allocated server? I want my server to scale well just as GetMatch with allocated server system does, can RequestMultiplayerServer API do it well?

does both RequestMultiplayerServer and GetMatch allocated server both allow me to operate a dynamically scaling pool of custom game servers in Azure?

multiplayerMatchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

The design purpose of RequestMultiplayerServer is to allow the developer to create their own server initialization process, which is suitable when there is a customized Matchmaking system apart from PlayFab’s.

>>automatically spin up and down

The automatically spinning up feature should be implemented by yourself as you have to let PlayFab server know when to allocate an instance. While shutting down server should be defined in the server build and when the game progress is finished, the application should be shut down. As long as the instance cannot detect the heartbeat from GSDK, the instance will shut down automatically.

I am not sure what does the dynamically scaling means in the context. If you mean the total capacity of a server build, this is something you need to measure and request for increasing quota before the release. Meanwhile, if you mean the dynamic standing-by feature of PlayFab Multiplayer server, it is always supported. Please refer to Dynamic Standby - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs. In addition, for now PlayFab has supported self-served increasing quota in Game Manager at the Quota tab of Multiplayer server.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.