question

pebulusek avatar image
pebulusek asked

How to store data of type "goal_id" : "completed" for players

Hello,

I have levels and each level has some goals with goal_id and a tag which tells if the goal was completed or not.

Should I store it as player data? It feels like player data should be used for info about player like country, age, ... etc.

Or segments? They are limited but there can be hundreds of goals..

Thanks for help

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Zac Bragg avatar image
Zac Bragg Deactivated answered

Hey pebulusek,

There are several things to consider here; but, yes, generally you will want to store them in PlayerData; however, depending on your requirements you could save the details in an ItemInstance (like a badge, that denotes the details of the progress) or in statistics (which could easilly be turned into segments later on).

I will be going over the title data pieces here, if either of the alternate solutions interest you, I can provide additional details for those.

The first question you will need to answer is: do you want the client to be able to edit these values directly or not?

Note that UserDataReadOnly must be written to using the server API or CloudScript.

The next question to answer is: how you will be managing / pruning the data over the lifetime of the account. user data storage size is limited, so to remedy this, as your player data grows, you will need to have a solution to remove old records, or deal with your data existing in more than one key-value pair.

The third question is: In either case (from #2) you will need to consider what your average data write will be and ensure that under the worst case scenario, you will not be exceeding any limitations. This comes down to getting a system up and working and then testing what an active user account would look like. We can help optomize your calls after you have a good idea what a typical profile would look like.

I would be happy to add to this, so let me know what areas apply to your specific game.

-Zac

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.