question

Canberk Soner avatar image
Canberk Soner asked

PlayFab Matchmaking with custom game servers

Hello,

Currently trying to understand how the new matchmaking works. In this link: tutorial There's this section:

Connecting your players together

Once your players have matched, you will want to have them join each other - either through a server, or by peer-to-peer connections.

If you are using a dedicated server, you can rely on the Match ID to uniquely identify the group of players they should be in. If you are using PlayFab's multiplayer servers, GetMatch will provide a server and port for your players to connect to.

We're not using PlayFab Multiplayer, we run our dedicated servers on our own systems. From this paragraph, I understand PlayFab matchmaking only takes me through client tickets and then I have to process that match id and manage game server allocations myself. But this leads me to 2 questions:

1) How would backfill work, in this case?

2) Or, if I use "Create Server Matchmaking Ticket" and "Create Server Backfill Ticket" APIs, will playfab still assign matches to my custom game servers who registered themselves to playfab?

I didn't find any mention of custom game servers other than that one sentence under "Connecting your players together", would be amazing if someone could help me figure this out.

Custom Game ServersMatchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

>> 1) How would backfill work, in this case?

Backfill tickets can work with the custom dedicated server. When you call the API CreateServerBackfillTicket, you can fill the IP address and Ports in the its ServreDetails fieldto let thematched players can connect to the corresponding server. This ServerDetails can be the details of PlayFab Multiplayer Server instance, it also can be the details of your own server.

>> 2) Or, if I use "Create Server Matchmaking Ticket" and "Create Server Backfill Ticket" APIs, will playfab still assign matches to my custom game servers who registered themselves to playfab?

The API CreateServerMatchmakingTicket and CreateServerBackfillTicket can be used with your custom game server. The CreateServerMatchmakingTicket is used to create a new matchmaking ticket on server. And the CreateServerBackfillTicket is designed to create a backfill ticket for the ongoing game. After you called the CreateServerMatchmakingTicket on the server, you need to complete the process of “Get Ticket” and “Get Match” on the server too. Then you can get the MatchID then allocate the server for every MatchID on your own. CreateServerBackfillTicket is designed for ongoing games, in other words, it’s designed for the allocated servers. You needn’t allocate new servers for the MatchIDs generated by backfill matchmaking.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Canberk Soner avatar image Canberk Soner commented ·

Hey Sarah,

Thanks for the info. Could you give me some examples about "completing the process of Get Ticket and Get Match". It's not exactly clear to me specifically what I need to do to allocate the server for every MatchID on my own. Are there any documentation or online examples about this?

0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah Zhang avatar image Sarah Zhang Canberk Soner commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.