question

yuliuschn avatar image
yuliuschn asked

Azure spot instances

Does playfab multiplayer server support the usage of azure spot instances?

multiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

No, the server hosting available in PlayFab directly is the standard VM model - you can find pricing for that service here: Billing for PlayFab Multiplayer Servers 2.0 - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs

Obviously, if you would like to use Azure Spot Instances, nothing prevents you from doing that - the PlayFab services are designed to allow you to use only what you need, and bring your own solutions where you have more specific needs.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

yuliuschn avatar image
yuliuschn answered

Does this mean that reserved instance pricing also unavailable for playfab multiplayer server?

The reason I ask this is because if it is offered by playfab directly, it means we can use the multiplayer api and all its feature including auto scaling. if we were to use the spot instances by ourselves, it means that we have to reinvent what playfab service has offered, including setting up kubernetes, creating our own version of gsdk which is defeat the purpose of simplicity / offloading task to more experienced team so we can focus on the game itself.

I believe AWS gamelift offer the use of spot instances too. It will be nice if playfab offer the same.

10 |1200

yuliuschn avatar image
yuliuschn answered

Does it mean that reserved instance also unavailable ?

i ask this because we still want to use the playfab multiplayer api and its feature including auto scaling. If we were to bring our own solution for the sake of using spot instances, it means we have to reinvent the wheel that playfab has offered, including setting up kubernetes, our own gsdk , which defeat the purpose of focusing on our game and offloading task to more experienced team.

Besides, i believe aws gamelift provide spot instances service for the gameserver, so i thought playfab might have the same.

10 |1200

yuliuschn avatar image
yuliuschn answered

Does it mean that reserved instance also unavailable ?

i ask this because we still want to use the playfab multiplayer api and its feature including auto scaling. If we were to bring our own solution for the sake of using spot instances, it means we have to reinvent the wheel that playfab has offered, including setting up kubernetes, our own gsdk , which defeat the purpose of focusing on our game and offloading task to more experienced team.

Besides, i believe aws gamelift provide spot instances service for the gameserver, so i thought playfab might have the same.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.