question

Frank DiCola avatar image
Frank DiCola asked

For websites, what language does the community recommend?

I'm looking for a community recommendation here. Let's say I'm a programmer with no real web development experience (not since college, years ago... working with HTML5 and CSS3) and I'm building a website to connect to my PlayFab data. What language do you recommend? Which language plays nicely with the PlayFab API?

A little bit about my project: it's a mobile app that lets people in Hoboken, New Jersey view local volunteer opportunities. Volunteers are rewarded with in-game digital prizes and they level up like it's an RPG. Think of it as an augmented-reality experience focused on community service.

Anyway, the mobile app is working fine. But I need to build a web component so charities can list their upcoming events. That's why I'm looking into programming my own website. I built the mobile app in Unity and I've been using the Unity WebGL export for the time being, but it's very slow and I want to switch to something that performs better.

Users will be working with a lot of data (seeing all of their volunteers' information, all the upcoming events, archived events, etc) if that influences the choice.

Thanks all for understanding!

apissdkscommunity
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

Typically, front-end web developers use the HTML, JavaScript and CSS to develop the website. Of course, PlayFab provides the SDK for JavaScript. You can find the SDK on this page. Besides, we also provide the SDK for some game development frameworks, such as Phaser(JavaScript) SDK, Cocos2D-x(C++) SDK. The above frameworks both can be used to develop HTML5 games. We would suggest you learn about the above solutions first, then choose the most suitable one.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Frank DiCola avatar image Frank DiCola commented ·

Thank you Sarah! I guess right now I'm deciding between Python and JavaScript, wondering what the process has been like for people who have built their games/projects with it.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah Zhang avatar image Sarah Zhang Frank DiCola commented ·

We provide the quick start https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/sdks/javascript/quickstart, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/sdks/python/quickstart to help you make the first API call in these languages.

If you want to seek advice on language use, you can navigate to the corresponding languages' forum for more details.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.