question

Trym Rannem avatar image
Trym Rannem asked

Starting game servers (letting players start custom games)

Hi!

This is something that seems like it should be such an easy task, but I feel like I've tried everything now without succeeding. So I simply want to make it possible for players to do two things:

- start new games

- get a list of existing games, and to join a specific game from there

By using the functions "ListMultiplayerServers" and "GetMultiplayerServerDetails" I have made it possible to find all existing games and from there join a specific game with the given IP and port. This means my second point has already been sorted.

However, I have still not been able to find a way to actually start a new game. I simply want to be able to just start a new game server instance on demand (and return its IP and port, so that the player starting the can join the server), and that this server shows up through the "ListMultiplayerServers" method. Any pointers on how to achieve this would be greatly appreciated! I feel like I'm probably missing something obvious here.

Thanks in advance!

- Trym

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

There is the RequestMultiplayerServer API that allows you to request a server. If you want to allow client to request for a server, you could go to your Game Manager-> Title settings -> API Features and choose the “Allow client to start games” option. You could refer to this thread: https://community.playfab.com/questions/38925/connecting-to-a-multiplayer-server-hosted-on-playf.html

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.