question

Chase avatar image
Chase asked

[Linux Server] Invalid Ports Returned & Unable to Connect/Ping (RequestMultiplayerServer)

Hello,

I'm converting our server over to utilize Linux w/ an ubuntu:18.04 container. Everything works through windows - we are able to deploy & connect fine; but we want to save cost as well as potential performance improvements.

I'm encountering issues on Linux here after the server deploys. It deploys successfully, and servers are shown as StandingBy from GSDK.

Here are the docker containers running inside one of the vms:

container id: dca4b9347d06

port mapping: 30002->25000/udp, 30000->25001/tcp, 30001->25001/udp

When requesting the server on the client with RequestMultiplayerServer, the port values returned is looking to appear incorrect, for example the json data subset:

"Ports":[{"Name":"steam_query_tcp","Num":30000,"Protocol":"TCP"},{"Name":"steam_query_udp","Num":30100,"Protocol":"UDP"},{"Name":"game_port","Num":30200,"Protocol":"UDP"}],"Region":"EastUs","ServerId":"dca4b9347d06f596edf25de50dc32b60ac4427873f819b54023a41239e199236"

This is the data I use to ping the server for steam connection information. Based on the mapping that I'm seeing in docker here it appears to be incorrect. Which has me thinking there could be an underlining issue that is preventing connection.

I'm fairly sure my dockerfile is exposing the expected ports properly:

FROM ubuntu:18.04
RUN mkdir -p /data/Assets
COPY ./server_linux.zip /data/Assets
WORKDIR /data/Assets
RUN apt update
RUN apt install unzip
RUN unzip ./server_linux.zip
ENTRYPOINT ["/bin/bash", "./HeadlessServer.sh"]
EXPOSE 25001/tcp
EXPOSE 25001/udp
EXPOSE 25000/udp

I also tried brute forcing the ports to one that I knew to be correct for the ServerId received from RequestMultiplayerServer, but that was still unable to ping or connect successfully unfortunately. Not too sure what I'm missing here. Thanks for any help & information.

Custom Game Serversmultiplayer
vmdocker.png (12.8 KiB)
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Chase avatar image
Chase answered

found this specific issue here - still not sure why port mapping values are different, but for my immediate issue of connecting I needed to install the ca-certificates packages for steam, updated Dockerfile:

FROM ubuntu:18.04
RUN mkdir -p /data/Assets
COPY ./server_linux.zip /data/Assets
WORKDIR /data/Assets
RUN apt update
RUN apt install -y unzip
RUN apt install -y --reinstall ca-certificates
RUN unzip ./server_linux.zip
ENTRYPOINT ["/bin/bash", "./HeadlessServer.sh"]
EXPOSE 25001/tcp
EXPOSE 25001/udpEXPOSE 25000/udp
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Chase avatar image Chase commented ·

don't see a way to edit this post here, but the EXPOSE 25000/udp should be on a new line

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.