question

yuliuschn avatar image
yuliuschn asked

Matchmaking with Multiplayer Server Question

Hi..

1. Is it correct that if we use ServerAllocationEnabled = true with playfab matchmaking, every successful matchmaking will run 1 docker container within the VM? It means that 100 matches = 100 docker container instances?

2. Is it possible for us to use the setting above, but instead of creating 1 docker container for every successful matchmaking, we can configure it with different settings? The settings that come to mind is : number of match, cpu usage, etc that is provided out of the box by playfab instead of using our own logic.

The reason I ask this is when it is 20 player per matches or when each match require huge resources, probably it makes sense to create new container every match. But the game that i am working on is 1 vs 1. With my current understanding as I stated on point 1, when we have 200 match, it will be 200 container which makes me worry about the overhead that comes with docker. So, I am thinking if we can do with for example 10 docker instances that accommodates 20 match each.

So, every 20 successful matchmaking with ServerAllocationEnabled = true will give us the same docker instances.

3. If point no 2 is not possible, do you have any thought about using a lot of docker instances within 1 VM.

multiplayerMatchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

>>1. Is it correct that if we use ServerAllocationEnabled = true with playfab matchmaking, every successful matchmaking will run 1 docker container within the VM? It means that 100 matches = 100 docker container instances?

Yes, that’s correct.

>>2. Is it possible for us to use the setting above, but instead of creating 1 docker container for every successful matchmaking, we can configure it with different settings? The settings that come to mind is : number of match, cpu usage, etc that is provided out of the box by playfab instead of using our own logic.

No, currently PlayFab does not offer such feature. So it looks like you want to host multiple sessions in a single docker instance, for that I’m afraid you’d need extra work outside of PlayFab, please refer to this thread for more details: Is it possible to host multiple game sessions on one vm instance? - Playfab Community

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.