question

Shanathan Hanson avatar image
Shanathan Hanson asked

Why is it so difficult to get access to the PlayFab Party SDK?

Hi, I am developing a game and am interested in using PlayFab Party however I am finding it difficult to get my hands on the PlayFab Party SDK.

Why do I have to be an official XBox Developer in order to access the PlayFab Party SDK? I understand that it uses XBox services, but what if I do not even plan to release my game for XBox at all? I still need to be an XBox Dev just to use PlayFab Party? Is there a direct link on how to sign up to become an XBox Dev? From what I have gathered so far, in order to become an XBox Dev, one must sign up for ID@Xbox and Windows Dev. since you need a Production ID for the ID@XBox signup. So Paid my individual registration fee of $19 to get that. Then signed up for ID@Xbox (whatever that is). And now I am waiting for a response but still am not sure if I am on my way to being able to gain access to the PlayFab Party SDK. Why is this such a nightmare? HELP!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

You don't have to be an Xbox developer. The SDKs on the Party SDK page (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/networking/party-sdks) that are not for closed platforms are readily available to everyone.

5 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Shanathan Hanson avatar image Shanathan Hanson commented ·

Sorry. I suppose I should have been more clear... Using Unreal Engine, how can I gain access to the PlayFabPartySDK. The links on that page you posted just redirects me to an xbox developer page.

0 Likes 0 ·

@Brendan

Ok After doing some digging around, I found that I can add the NuGet Package "Microsoft.PlayFab.PlayFabParty.Cpp.Windows" to my Unreal Project via Visual Studio. I also installed the NuGet Package "Microsoft.PlayFab.PlayFabPartyXboxLive.Cpp.Windows"

Is that all that is needed for me to use the PlayFabPartySDK? Can I continue on with the PlayFab Party Tutorials now?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Shanathan Hanson commented ·

Great, glad you got there - and yes, the CPP version is what I would have pointed you to, if you want to avoid the extra Xbox step. That said, if you are willing to get set up as an ID@Xbox developer, the GDK version may serve you better.

But yes, you can use the CPP version, along with the docs for Party, to build a Party experience in PlayFab.

0 Likes 0 ·

@Brendan
Looks like I still need the PlayFab Online Subsystem to easily use PlayFab Party with Unreal Engine 4.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/networking/party-unreal-engine-oss-quickstart

It tells me that I need to:
"Go to Xbox Developer Downloads page under Add-ins and download PlayFab Party Online SubSystem. If you do not have access to the site, reach out to your Microsoft representative."

Well I do not have a Microsoft Representative. What can I do?

And why is the PlayFab Party Online Subsystem NOT available on the Unreal Marketplace like the PlayFab Plugin is?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Shanathan Hanson commented ·

If you need an Unreal-specific SDK (rather than using the C++ SDK to build this into your title), then yes, the only one available right now is indeed in the Xbox program. The SDK team does have a plan to improve Unreal support overall, but it's going to take some time to get there. The ID@Xbox program is actually quite easy to get into, if you'd like to get access to that - you can sign up for that here: Independent Developers Program for Xbox One | Xbox

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.