question

molion avatar image
molion asked

Help implementing an event system.

Hi.

I've seen mentions here and there of an event system being developed for PlayFab, although it looks to me like it's been discontinued. Is this correct?

If there is no event system we need to develop our own. We're thinking of storing events somewhere whenever they're fired, then using an Azure function to let the client poll for new events. My question is; where should we store the events so we can find them when polling?

If we're going to store them in playfab it seems logical to store them somewhere in the player data, although there doesn't seem to be a great way to store it. The best suited place would seem to be using objects, although I can see some problems with it.

Does playfab have a good place to store such events or would we be better of setting up our own database?

Player DatadataPlayStream
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

I believe you are talking about the functionality of subscribing game clients to messages pushed from PlayFab’s servers to enable scenarios such as real-time content updates, matchmaking notifications, etc., is that correct? In that case, currently PlayFab does not offer such feature, and places like Player Data & Objects are not designed to handle such scenario, therefore, I’d suggest you consider using services like Azure SignalR to implement the event system for your game.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

molion avatar image molion commented ·

I've looked into SignalR, it looked promising, but we need to be able to send events to offline users so that they receive them when they log on, and SignalR doesn't seem to be able to do that without storing the messages in a database, and at that point we might as well do the rest on our own as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan molion commented ·

Yes, I believe for now you guys might need to implement this feature by yourself.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.