question

brendan avatar image
brendan asked

How do I set up a stress test in PlayFab?

Question from a developer:

I want to set up a stress test for my game. How would I go about doing this?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Well, the first thing is to determine why you want to do a stress test. If it's testing the PlayFab API calls, there's no need. We already have stress tested the service up to a million concurrent users (CCU) on a single title, as a test for a major publisher. You can read all about that test and its results (as well as a wealth of other info on our service's architecture) in our whitepaper: https://playfab.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/playfabtechnicalwhitepaper_2016.06.18.pdf.

Now, if you have your own servers that you need to stress, it again comes down to what it is you're trying to test, exactly. For custom game server implementations, each server is distinct, so it's really just a matter of determining what peak load they can handle, which you can do by first using New Relic (just put your Key into the New Relic Add-on Marketplace page and any new server hosts that spin up will send data to your account). That way you can calculate what the peak user capacity should be for the machine. You could also do unit testing by having a few computers simulate many players, and connect them all to the server host.

If you have more complex needs where you have concerns about how your servers will manage their communication with PlayFab, you may well need to run a stress test against that specifically. If so, you'll need to coordinate that directly with our team via devrel@playfab.com.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

adil ghaffar avatar image
adil ghaffar answered

Unable to find the whitepaper. Its throws expception 404 not found

10 |1200

joakim-kalmar avatar image
joakim-kalmar answered
10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.