question

Anand Lal avatar image
Anand Lal asked

Bad request error and 400 error code with Power Bi.

Using Power Bi to log into https://insights.playfab.com but when I use the Desktop version of Power Bi, I receive a Bad Request error message. When I use the web application of Power Bi to refresh an existing report, I receive a 400 error code.

I use AAD login method and go through the login flow, but still receive the 400 error code.

When I open the Desktop version of Power BI to manually refresh each query, some queries will refresh, but some will hit a 429 error code "Too Many Requests".

datasupport
3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ commented ·

Have you followed the instructions on Connecting Power BI to Insights - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs to connect to Power BI? Do you have any other specific error messages when opening https://insights.playfab.com?

0 Likes 0 ·
Anand Lal avatar image Anand Lal Seth Du ♦ commented ·

Yes, I was able to get it connected using the Power Bi Desktop version. But when I publish the report in the Power Bi web app, I have to validate my user credentials. I try to validate the user credentials with OAuth2 method, but still get a 400 error code in the Power Bi web app.

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ Anand Lal commented ·

I will try to reproduce this issue.

1 Like 1 ·
Anand Lal avatar image
Anand Lal answered

The proper permissions are set and I am using the same email for both PowerBi & PlayFab. One thing I'm wondering is if someone else creates the report using their AAD. Then that person sends me the report to add my additions, will the report fail to refresh because the initial connection was done by someone else? Leaving me with a "Bad Request" error message

In PowerBi, I can create a new table by clicking "New Source" selecting the Azure Data Explorer, and inputting the necessary details to connect to PlayFab and connect perfectly fine. I believe the issue lies when I'm refreshing a table created by someone else who used their credentials to make the initial connection.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

I am not sure of the certain behavior of PowerBI as I am not expert on it. For now, please follow the instructions on Connecting Power BI to Insights - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs.

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

I cannot reproduce this issue. I am using Microsoft AAD (Azure Active Directory) for login, there is no issue on both Desktop version and Web page.

Since your Desktop version is able to connect to https://insights.playfab.com, I don’t think there is any other things PlayFab can do because PlayFab is just the data source, the rest of the actions is Azure and PowerBI behavior. I have published my project via desktop app to PowerBI workspace and it works fine for me.

I believe you may consult Azure or PowerBI support for the authentication issue.

1 comment
10 |1200

Anand Lal avatar image Anand Lal commented ·

Thank you for trying! Now the desktop version is giving me a Bad Authenication Error message. I did submit a ticket to PowerBi support so I'm waiting on a response. I can access PlayFab online so not sure where the disconnect is happening. I can leave an update once it's been resolved.

0 Likes 0 ·
Anand Lal avatar image
Anand Lal answered

Hello @SethDu

PowerBI support has come back to me with a Bad Request error saying my credentials are the issue. But I can access PlayFab online through a web browser (developer page). I cannot access it through PowerBi. Is there a computer setting that could be interfering with my login flow through PowerBi?

1 comment
10 |1200

Would you navigate to the studio management page and click the right top ellipsis button? Then enter the "Users" page.

• Make sure your login account in PowerBI is listed and its authentication method is using "AAD". The same email account but with PlayFab authentication won't work.
  • This account is the Admin of this studio. If it is just Member, you may grant the permissions from the Administrator.
0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.