question

Taran Saini avatar image
Taran Saini asked

Is there a way to check if a display name is already in use when registering a new account?

Currently, when a player wishes to register a new account they have to go through various verification processes, one of which is to check if a username is already in use. I also want to check if that username is already in use as a display name as well. How would I go about doing this without being logged into PlayFab since this would occur during the registration process?

Account Management
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

No, it is not supported. Players require logging in to access any data on PlayFab. When calling RegisterPlayFabUser API, username and email will be automatically checked so that duplication won’t be allowed. Meanwhile, Display Name is something can be changed by players and UpdateUserTitleDisplayName is contained in the client API set. I don’t think it necessary but since PlayFab doesn’t support checking display name as a compulsory step of registering, you may create your own process on your client, which is asking players to set up DisplayName before they can enter the game.

PS. Client API GetAccountInfo with specified “TitleDisplayName” property will allow players to get account information from a DisplayName, but to call the client API, a valid session ticket is required.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Taran Saini avatar image Taran Saini commented ·

Thank you for your reply! I think we'll go with your suggestion of creating our own process of asking players to set up their DisplayName before they can enter the game.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.