question

mybigorangehead avatar image
mybigorangehead asked

Tips on determining servers per machine?

I have just launched my title this week! :)

I am hosting servers on PlayFab and trying to determine the number of servers per machine I should use.

About my game:

- Made with Unity and Photon Bolt

- 6 player matches

- <5 minute battle arena matches

What I am currently doing:

- Hosting 6 servers per Av2 machine with 1 core.

Problem:

After 3+ servers are active, the games begin to feel laggy

What I have done:

Profiling my server build in Unity I found my ram usage to always be <200mb.

Since Photon Bolt requires 7 ports, I thought I might be able to host 8 servers / Av2 1 core machine (since 8*7 = 56, 56 < 60 the max ports available?) and my ram usage should not go above 1.6 GB. This doesn't seem to be the case.

I am unsure if I should focus on optimizing my networking/CPU performance or switch the PlayFab machines I am using.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Is there a way for me to monitor the PlayFab machines performance?

How can I determine the optimal # of servers/machine?

Thanks!

Josh

multiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

To activate the performance monitor, you could use the CreateBuildWithManagedContainer API and specifying InstrumentationConfiguration parameter with a list of processes to monitor on the machine. After the build creation has been created and has standing by servers, you can find the csv files that contain the performance metrics collection output in the shared content folder on each VM. Please refer to this document: Collecting performance metrics on Windows multiplayer servers (experimental) Then you could adjust the servers/machine to find out the which gives the best performance.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

John Clark avatar image John Clark commented ·

@Rick Chen, could you please update the link for "Collecting performance metrics on Windows multiplayer servers (experimental)". It is returning a 404. Thanks!

2 Likes 2 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.