question

Paul Boutros avatar image
Paul Boutros asked

Build or server build

Hi,

1)I can't find the difference online between a build and a server build. Is it just the same thing? If not, can someone point out few key differences. I am also asking that because I am about to upload a build on Playfab.... and every time I do research on how to do that, the term "server built" popups and it seems like it is more work than just uploading a build or a zip file on a server...

2)While I am at it, I am wondering, does it (technically) really matter where a build is hosted , if 80% of its content is hosted on let's say S3 amazon bucket (loaded with Unity addressable), its player data handled by Playfab? the build could be downloaded from anywhere right?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

For multiplayer server, yes, the build and server build are same thing. A server build is a combination of your game server executable, assets, certificates, and associated configuration that determines how your game scales across Azure. Please refer to: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/servers/deploying-playfab-multiplayer-server-builds

The multiplayer server build is hosted in Azure Region, it matters because the client connecting to server in different region would experience different network speed.

Could you explain what do you mean by the build could be downloaded from anywhere? If you mean the build asset, it is not downloadable in PlayFab.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Paul Boutros avatar image
Paul Boutros answered

Ok I see, so every time someone talks about uploading a build to Playfab it always refers to a server build. If I understand correctly, since my game is not multiplayer (at least for now), my game build is not a server build... it is just a "regular" build. So I suppose I will ignore most information related to that... For the second part of my question, I have a simple example. I basically want to share my beta build with few friends and get some feedbacks . So I though I would upload the build somewhere (Amazon S3 bucket for example) and send them a link. So like you said, that build asset is not downloadable from Playfab and that is why I am saying it does not really matter where I upload it for sharing purposes at least at that currently stage of development.

My confusion came from the fact that I though the build(in my case) had to be uploaded on Playfab but I realize it is not the case at all. Thanks for the answer, let me know if I am not getting something here...
Thanks for your time!

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.