question

jeffcord97 avatar image
jeffcord97 asked

Creating an Entity Group

I am trying to create an entity group so that multiple players can join it, but I am having trouble on the creation portion of it at the moment. I am currently generating an entity key to make the group, but I am using my local player's playfab id as the entity id, but when I do so, I get the error

"/Group/CreateGroup: No group profile found at <playfabID>"

I am just using the local player's id as a testing id, but for my actual project, I would like to generate a new unique id that is specific to the new group I am creating. Is there a way to do that? I have looked at the documentation at this link, but I cannot get it to work even after using the example code: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/social/groups/quickstart

entitiesmultiplayer
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

No, the group id is generated by PlayFab’s backend, not by client side.

The CreateGroup API takes 2 parameters:

1. GroupName: The name of the group. It is unique at the title level. If a group is being created with duplicate name, an error message: “/Group/CreateGroup: This group name is already in use.” will be received.
  2. Entity: The entity to perform this action on that is assigned as the default member (admin) of the group. This field is not required, and if not specified, the group will be associated with whoever calls CreateGroup API.

The entity key that you use in the CreateGroup API is not suppose to be generated. It is within a player's account. Your local player's playfab id cannot be used as an entity id. The playfab id is the id of the master player account, while the entity id is the id of the title player account. Please refer to this document: Entities quickstart.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jeffcord97 avatar image jeffcord97 commented ·

Thank you so much! That made it much more clear.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.