question

Brian Davis avatar image
Brian Davis asked

Desktop push notifications

I was reading through some of the documentation for push notifications and was wondering if this capability would be possible on desktop? Most of the posts that I've found in my searching have not been more recent than 2018, but they lean towards "no, it isn't possible." However, I thought I'd pose the question again in case things have changed or in case I misinterpreted something.

Push Notifications
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The basic requirement for a system like Push Notifications be that they are part of the operating system or otherwise something running all the time on the client device. In short, there has to be a service that can communicate to the client device regardless of what's running on it. So for example, you could have a push-like service with Facebook or Steam, but it would only work while you're actually running Facebook or Steam.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.