question

kova avatar image
kova asked

new relic on custom dev servers

Hey,

I can see our live servers on new relic, but not our dev servers. Are dev servers just not supported?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

We don't actually have the concept of live/dev servers in our service, so for a title configured with New Relic, any servers running should be sending their data to that service. What are you seeing right now, comparing your running servers to New Relic? Can you give me access to your New Relic account, so that I can see the dashboard there for your title?

16 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

kova avatar image kova commented ·

Thank you for replying. I'll see (ask) about getting access to new relic, but there isn't anything really to setup. As I understand the only thing we need to do is install new relic addon and provide license key. Here's how it looks now (not working for dev servers):

http://screencast.com/t/CVBUn6YDrBux

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan kova commented ·

The New Relic add-on is already in the server image that we load on the server host - you don't need to add it to your build. All you need to do is put your New Relic key into the Add-ons Marketplace page for that partner.

0 Likes 0 ·

So I don't thin there's anything I can do to diagnose it further. Proper new relic license key is entered in new relic addon, and dev servers for the title (ACAC) don't show up in new relic dashboard.
Is there anything that I can do? Are you still interested in access to new relic? If so I can ask you for your information (so I can invite you) on slack.

0 Likes 0 ·

Yes, please add me to your account. You can do this on the Account Settings Summary page, at the top - just click Add User, and you can add me by email address (brendan@playfab.com).

0 Likes 0 ·

I've added you to new relic with "User" role. Tell me if you need something, you can write here or on kova@freerangegames.com if it's private.

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks, I do see what you're seeing, now. Looking through all your configuration info, I see that you set up New Relic on that Title ID on 8/20 at 10:36AM UTC. However, all three servers running in that Title ID were started prior to that step. The New Relic key has to be added to the server on start-up - we can't connect a server to that service after it's already running. So only servers started after that configuration step is complete will show up in your dashboard. I'll work with the Game Manager team to clarify the text on the New Relic Add-on page.

0 Likes 0 ·

The license key was entered long time ago. 8/20 10:36AM UTC is, I guess, just the last time I pasted the exact same key and pressed save, in efforts to fix it.

I restarted the host and tried it again, and after 30 mins of uptime server still doesn't show up in new relic.
If you guys want to experiment, feel free to shutdown/restart build named PhotonBuild_0 on title ACAC at anytime, it is used solely for stress testing.

0 Likes 0 ·

Aha - we found an issue with the latest image update. We're fixing it now, and we'll have it deployed shortly - I'll update when it's in place.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan brendan commented ·

This has been fixed. Specifically, it was due to an update to the New Relic version in the image, so we've also put a fix in place to make sure this won't happen the next time the version is updated. If you terminate and re-start your servers, you'll now be getting all the data.

1 Like 1 ·

Great, thanks a lot!

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.