question

jlanis86 avatar image
jlanis86 asked

Pay as you go price calculation

screen-shot-2020-10-26-at-21949-pm.png

How is this price calculated? From my math it should be less than $20 based on usage after doing some calculations from the pricing page: https://playfab.com/pricing/

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jlanis86 avatar image jlanis86 commented ·

Is there anyway I can see the actual estimated price breakdown for the pay as you go plan?

0 Likes 0 ·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

The pricing is calculated from a set of consumption-based meters. This document: Pricing Meters describes each pricing meter.

You can view the detail price breakdown inside Billing Summary Page:

• Go to [Game Manager]->[Your Title], click the ellipsis at top right corner, then choose “Studio Billing”.

Please refer to: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/pricing/billingdetails

A detail step of calculation from the data you provide is:

• PlayStream Events: 6.6 x 3.57 = 23.562
  • PROFILE Reads: 0.33 x 0.02 x 1000 = 6.6 (0.02 Billion convert to Million)
  • PROFILE Writes: 7.15 x 0.78 = 5.577
  • PROFILE Storage: 1.54 x 3.76 = 5.7904
  • The sum of above is: 23.562 + 6.6 + 5.577 + 5.7904 = 41.5294
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Evgeniy avatar image
Evgeniy answered

Keep Calm

I got an estimate of $ 4,125.97 / month and am forced to close my business because that is more than I make.

Absolutely unfriendly policy to raise the price from 0 to $4000+

This week I received an email from a manager with a table in which there was Grand Total $1694, but in the console I saw an amount of $2634

An absolutely opaque system!

7 comments
10 |1200

milox avatar image milox commented ·

Agreed, pricing is absurd in relation to what you can make. I myself will be switching to an open source self-hosted backend.

1 Like 1 ·
milox avatar image milox commented ·

Also, a hint: turns out you can mass delete inactive players using segments and scheduled tasks. 90% of my players didn't really log in after 90 days, and active installs is even lower, so no point keeping them. You can save some storage money that way, for me this was the biggest cost.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan milox commented ·

Please be cautious about bulk deletion. Yes, deleting lapsed players is a good way to keep your storage costs down, but deletion is a process that thoroughly scans for and removes PII for the user across multiple systems, so it does generate some Profile Writes per player.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

@Evgeniy: Can you please clarify where you're seeing that? The only studio with the email address for this account shows a few hundred $ in total costs, half of which is just the flat fees for November and December (since they won't be invoiced until December). You definitely have a high level of Profile Writes, and I'd recommend reducing those, but I cannot see anywhere the amount you quoted above is represented.

0 Likes 0 ·
Evgeniy avatar image Evgeniy brendan commented ·

This is what I saw in the end of October: ~4126$

After that I did a great job of optimization. Now my expenses are about $ 40-50 per day, which, taking into account the base rate on a Standard plan, is more than $ 1,500 per month. This is still too much for me. I have a web game with asynchronous pvp. I have to save the player's data at least once every 1-2 minutes, otherwise another player will have irrelevant data. It is also risky to store data in the browser cache, especially in mobile browsers. A great chance to lose it.

Of course, it's not your problem that I'm not monetizing my players well enough. A surprise for some developers was the too sharp transition from 0 rate, which was available to all developers for a long time, to extremely high rates (4k$ in my case). This has hit hard on small indie teams, especially those who are targeting mobile web platforms where there is a lot of traffic but still not monetizing well enough.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Evgeniy commented ·

Oh, I see - so you mean the estimate for the previous month (which was billed in the old model, not consumption) was projected to be $4K. Two things to note about that:

1. The recommendation for tier would likely have been Premium, in that case. The Premium tier includes a higher amount of metered usage (around $8K worth), so the cost in that tier would likely just be the flat fee.

2. You weren't - and won't be - billed for October's usage in the consumption model, as it didn't start for you until November's usage.

The reason we provided all the details we did, starting back in April, was so that developers could evaluate their usage and determine where they need to make optimizations, which it sounds like you did. We spent the seven months since then trying to make sure everyone had the info needed to transition successfully - as you can imagine, it was a ton of emails (not including the bulk mails we sent out as reminders).

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.