question

nathanielj avatar image
nathanielj asked

Dedicated server deployed on Multiplayer cannot make API calls

This is following up with a question that was answered by @SarahZhang. The answer works on a local computer but not when hosted by PlayFab: https://community.playfab.com/questions/44926/authentication-as-a-server-to-make-api-calls.html

I am making an Unreal racing game with dedicated servers. My idea is to have the players join a dedicated PlayFab server and RPC their Character IDs to the server. Then the server makes an API call to PlayFab for each CharacterId, receiving their character data which the server turns into custom car configurations. The server then spawns the cars and replicates to all clients.

The issue has been resolved on local computers. But the problem remains when I upload and deploy this as a PlayFab multiplayer server. When we test on PlayFab, connecting by Matchmaking, we are unable to get any of our customizations because the dedicated server cannot make API calls to get our player and character information.

apis
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sarah Zhang avatar image Sarah Zhang commented ·

Do you mean the server can't call all PlayFab API methods? Could you please provide any error messages?

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
nathanielj avatar image
nathanielj answered

We finally found the answer in this post:

Uncheck "Verify Peer" in the UE4 project settings

This solves the issue of "Unable to contact server", answered here: https://community.playfab.com/questions/43276/im-trying-to-call-get-match-on-server-to-get-match.html

I highly recommend that this is added to the Unreal related documentation for PlayFab matchmaking! It blocked us for a long time and is a very hidden setting.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.