question

Denzie Gray avatar image
Denzie Gray asked

MatchMaking Questions

@Brendan

I was reading the tutorial and I have a few questions.

I would like to use the information in PlayerStatistics for Matchmaking, how would I achieve this?

The guide has examples of the ticket attributes created on client side. Is there a way to control what Kind of attributes a client can use for queues?

Can a get a clarification on the difference between an attribute from a User vs the Player Entity? Do I have to use Entity.SetObjects beforehand?

The documentation mentions:

"This allows data to be stored for a user, rather than the title needing to specify it on each create ticket call."

Does this mean there is a global way for me to define/set attributes for Players?

Has the MatchMaking API been updated to work in CloudScript?

Here is a link for reference:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/matchmaking/

Thanks in advance. And thanks for before.

Matchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

>>I would like to use the information in PlayerStatistics for Matchmaking, how would I achieve this?

You’d need to manually specify Player Statistics either in the ticket or player's Entity Objects.

>>The guide has examples of the ticket attributes created on client side. Is there a way to control what Kind of attributes a client can use for queues?

You cannot control what’s sent from the client side, it’s possible for a malicious client to send false attributes that may abuse your game. In that case, you can choose to use attributes from the Player Entity, and make sure that only server side can modify such data by updating the policy, please see this thread for more details: https://community.playfab.com/questions/43653/matchmaking-attributes-and-security.html

>> Can a get a clarification on the difference between an attribute from a User vs the Player Entity? Do I have to use Entity.SetObjects beforehand?

Attribute from a User means attributes specified during ticket creation, while Player Entity means entity objects specified by SetObjects beforehand.

>> Does this mean there is a global way for me to define/set attributes for Players?

Yes, you can set them via SetObjects.

>> Has the MatchMaking API been updated to work in CloudScript?

Yes, you access it using “ multiplayer.<Matchmaking APIs> ”, for instance, multiplayer.GetMatch({});

Hope this helps.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Denzie Gray avatar image
Denzie Gray answered
@Citrus Yan

Your responses are in quotes.

>>"You’d need to manually specify Player Statistics either in the ticket or player's Entity Objects"

How would I do this? Can you provide a Clousdscript example for both?

>>"In that case, you can choose to use attributes from the Player Entity, and make sure that only server side can modify such data by updating the policy,"

Thanks for the link! I have some Questions related to it:

Is there a policy update I can use to prevent client-side ticket creations? I don't mind them checking for matches but I want all creation to happen server-side.
And can I make a policy to stop all entity related changes from the client?

>>"Attribute from a User means attributes specified during ticket creation, while Player Entity means entity objects specified by SetObjects beforehand."

Ok so for Attribute from a User, the client sends the attribtutes.

For Player Entity, it is based on the fields stored in Playfab Entities.

Did I get the above right?

And earlier you said I could use PlayerStatistics, is that apart of the second option in 'Player Entity'?

>>"Yes, you can set them via SetObjects."

Where is the Global SetObjects?

Is this available via GameManager or must I use Entity.SetObjects?

I would prefer the Game Manager, is that possible?

Some Player Statistic Questions:

1. Is there a way to Initialize a PlayerStatistic? I'd like to have a statistic for 'ELO' set to 1200. I think it currently starts at 0.

2. The fields are 32-bit integers - are they signed or unsigned?

3. When using 'Sum' as an UpdateType, may we pass negative numbers for subtraction?

Lastly the Cloudscript tutorial is missing the global handlers for:
1. entity

2. multiplayer

I am referring to this link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/automation/cloudscript/writing-custom-cloudscript

Thanks for the response btw.

10 |1200

Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

>>How would I do this? Can you provide a Clousdscript example for both?

I can provide a basic workflow:

First, Call GetPlayerStatistics to retrieve the statistics of a specific player.

If specify in the ticket: Call CreateServerMatchmakingTicket with the player’s statistics specified in MatchmakingPlayerAttributes.

If sepcify in player’s Entity Object: use SetObjects to specify the player’s statistics into player’s Entity Object, then call CreateServerMatchmakingTicket.

>> Is there a policy update I can use to prevent client-side ticket creations?

Currently it’s not supported.

>> And can I make a policy to stop all entity related changes from the client?

Sure, just change the aforementioned policy to the following:

{
    "Resource": "pfrn:data--*!*/Profile/Objects/* ",
    "Action": "Write",
    "Effect": "Deny",
    "Principal": "*",
    "Comment": "Only title can edit user Objects",
    "Condition": {
        "CallingEntityType": "title_player_account"
    }
},
{
    "Comment": "Only title can edit user MatchmakingObj Objects",
        "CallingEntityType": "character"
    }
},
{
    "Comment": "Only title can edit user MatchmakingObj Objects",
        "CallingEntityType": "master_player_account"
    }
},

>> Did I get the above right?

Yes, that’s correct.

>>Where is the Global SetObjects? Is this available via GameManager or must I use Entity.SetObjects?I would prefer the Game Manager, is that possible?

Using Entity.SetObjects with your title’s Entity Token (obtained from GetEntityToken with your title SecrectKey) is authorized to set all the other entities’ objects within the title. In the Game Manager, you can set objects for a specific player in its Player Tab:

>>Is there a way to Initialize a PlayerStatistic? I'd like to have a statistic for 'ELO' set to 1200. I think it currently starts at 0.

You’d need to use UpdatePlayerStatistics to update it, or sets it in Player Tab for a specific player.

>> The fields are 32-bit integers - are they signed or unsigned?

They are unsigned.

>> When using 'Sum' as an UpdateType, may we pass negative numbers for subtraction?

Sure.

>> Lastly the Cloudscript tutorial is missing the global handlers for:

Thanks for your feedback on this, I’ll report this to the doc team.

1.png (49.2 KiB)
10 |1200

Denzie Gray avatar image
Denzie Gray answered
@Citrus Yan

>>"Yes, you access it using “ multiplayer.<Matchmaking APIs> ”, for instance, multiplayer.GetMatch({});"

>>"I can provide a basic workflow:"

Firstly, the 'multiplayer' global variable/definition is missing in the cloudscript.d.ts.
Am I missing something?

Secondly, I am asking for a Cloudscript example. The RESTAPI you guys link to is not a good substitute for a code example. It clears some things up but a line of code showing the proper method call parameters would be better as it would also eliminate the trial and error of following the workflow you've laid out. Similar to your Entity Policy explanation, may I have an example in CloudScript of this:

multiplayer.CreateServerMatchmakingTicket({});

that has been tested?

" Is there a policy update I can use to prevent client-side ticket creations?

>> Currently it’s not supported."

Can they create tickets with Queue attributes via 'User' or will my queue settings to 'PlayerEntity' make that impossible?

If I handle Ticket creation in the cloudscript and the client doesn't know the queue name, would they be able make any tickets?

>>"Using Entity.SetObjects with your title’s Entity Token (obtained from GetEntityToken with your title SecrectKey) is authorized to set all the other entities’ objects within the title. In the Game Manager, you can set objects for a specific player in its Player Tab:"

Is there a way to do this globally for all players?

May I have a Cloudscript example of the PlayerEntity.SetObjects?
One where the Cloudscript function is using currentPlayerId?

If the values are unsigned for statistics will there be underflow, operation cancel, or will it clamp to 0?

Thanks for the responses so far, especially the Policy example.

10 |1200

Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

@Denzie Gray

Currently the 'multiplayer' global definition is not reflected in cloudscript.d.ts. And, here is an working example of multiplayer.CreateServerMatchmakingTicket({}):

handlers.TestCreateMatchmaking = function(args,context){
    var response = multiplayer.CreateServerMatchmakingTicket(
        {
            GiveUpAfterSeconds: 60,
            Members: [
                {    
                  "Entity": {
                        "Id": "xxxx",
                        "Type": "title_player_account",
                        "TypeString": "title_player_account"
                    },
                    "Attributes": {
                        "DataObject": {
                            "skill" : "fire",
                            "level": "master"
                                    }
                        }
                }
                    ],
            QueueName: "xxx"

}
        )
    return {
        "Response": response

};
}

>>Can they create tickets with Queue attributes via 'User' or will my queue settings to 'PlayerEntity' make that impossible?

They can still create tickets with ‘User’ attribute, however, that’s useless when your queue don’t have a rule that uses such Attribute source & path.

>>If I handle Ticket creation in the cloudscript and the client doesn't know the queue name, would they be able make any tickets?

Queue name is a necessity for ticket creation, they cannot make any tickets with the queue name.

>>Is there a way to do this globally for all players? May I have a Cloudscript example of the PlayerEntity.SetObjects? One where the Cloudscript function is using currentPlayerId?

What do you mean “globally”? Do you mean setting objects for all the players within your title? And, here is example for you:

handlers.TestSetObjects = function (args, context){
/*Get title player account id from currentPlayerId(master player account id)*/
    var title_player_account_id = entity.GetTitlePlayersFromMasterPlayerAccountIds({
        MasterPlayerAccountIds: [
            currentPlayerId
            ]

}).TitlePlayerAccounts[currentPlayerId].Id;
/* set objects for the player:*/
    var response = entity.SetObjects({

Objects: [
            {
            "ObjectName": "testobject",
            "DataObject": {
                "PlayerAttributes": {
                  "Skill": "fire",
                  "Role": "wizard",
                  "level": "master"
                }
            }       
        }
        ],
        Entity: {
                "Id": title_player_account_id,
                "Type": "title_player_account",
                "TypeString": "title_player_account"

}
    })
    return {
        "Response": response

};
}

>>If the values are unsigned for statistics will there be underflow, operation cancel, or will it clamp to 0?

Sorry for the confusion made earlier, statistics are specifically int32 values, and if the value you provided will result into a overflow, the UpdatePlayerStatistics API will simply return “StatisticValueAggregationOverflow” error and leaves the statistic value intact.

10 |1200

Denzie Gray avatar image
Denzie Gray answered

@Citrus Yan

">>Currently the 'multiplayer' global definition is not reflected in cloudscript.d.ts"

Is there an ETA for this? Or maybe a preview branch?

">>multiplayer.CreateServerMatchmakingTicket({}):"

The example you gave is for when the queue is set to 'User'.
May I have an example of multiplayer.CreateServerMatchmakingTicket({}): with the queue set to 'PlayerEntity'? Or do I just remove the 'Attributes' field in the Ticket Members Object if the queue is set to 'PlayerEntity'?

Oh and is the EntityID in Members the same kind like currentPlayfabId or the title_player_account_id ?

In your multiplayer.CreateServerMatchmakingTicket example you have

"Id": "xxxx",

Using your set objects example, assuming I used

"

1. var title_player_account_id = entity.GetTitlePlayersFromMasterPlayerAccountIds({

" ,

Would this be appropriate:

"Id": title_player_account_id,

instead of 'xxxx' or etc?

">>They can still create tickets with ‘User’ attribute, however, that’s useless when your queue don’t have a rule that uses such Attribute source & path."

When you say useless, do you mean it will throw an error? Will a ticket be created at all?

">>Queue name is a necessity for ticket creation, they cannot make any tickets with the queue name."

So if I hide the queue names on the server and the client doesn't know the name and uses a bad queue name, would they get an error? Will a ticket be created?

">>What do you mean “globally”? Do you mean setting objects for all the players within your title?"

Yes, that is what I mean. This would allow me to initialize values on account creation.

BTW, when I use UpdatePlayerStatistics, it requires a playfabId, Do I use 'currentPlayfabId' or the retrieved 'title_player_account_id' ?

Right now I save my information of UserInternalData using currentPlayfabId, is that Okay?

">>the value you provided will result into a overflow,"

I was talking about 'underflow' but I guess they work the same way?

10 |1200

Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

@Denzie Gray

>>Is there an ETA for this? Or maybe a preview branch?

Sorry there is no ETA on this because some “multiplayer” features are still in public preview, which are subject to changes. You can make a feature request about it in the forum.

>>Or do I just remove the 'Attributes' field in the Ticket Members Object if the queue is set to 'PlayerEntity'?

You don’t need to specify that when using “PlayerEntity”.

>>…Would this be appropriate, ... , instead of 'xxxx' or etc?

Entity ID used in Members is the title_player_account_id, and yes, that’s correct.

>>When you say useless, do you mean it will throw an error? Will a ticket be created at all?

No, it won’t throw an error, tickets gets created successfully. What I meant is that the User attributes specified by the clients won’t affect the matchmaking process because no Rules are utilizing it, hence clients won't be able to cheat.

>> So if I hide the queue names on the server and the client doesn't know the name and uses a bad queue name, would they get an error? Will a ticket be created?

It will return an error, and no ticket gets created.

>>BTW, when I use UpdatePlayerStatistics, it requires a playfabId, Do I use 'currentPlayfabId' or the retrieved 'title_player_account_id' ?

“playfabId” is the “currentPlayfabId”

>>Right now I save my information of UserInternalData using currentPlayfabId, is that Okay?

That’s OK.

>>I was talking about 'underflow' but I guess they work the same way?

Yes, it will return error when underflow or overflow (outside of the valid 32 bit integer range).

9 comments
10 |1200

Denzie Gray avatar image Denzie Gray commented ·

@Citrus Yan

Thanks for the responses. I will test out some of this and come back if I have any questions.

0 Likes 0 ·
Denzie Gray avatar image Denzie Gray commented ·

@Citrus Yan

I have a new question:

Is the InternalUserData split by Title?

Say I call "server.UpdateUserInternalData({})" in one title, would the data be accessible in another title if the keys were the same?

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan Denzie Gray commented ·

InternalUserData is title specific, if you want the data to span multiple titles, consider using Publisher data, in your case the corresponding API is UpdateUserPublisherInternalData, and, here is a doc with more details:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/data/titledata/using-publisher-data

0 Likes 0 ·
Denzie Gray avatar image Denzie Gray Citrus Yan commented ·

@Citrus Yan

Say I have 3 Attributes [A, B, C] in a queue.

If I make a Ticket do I have to use all 3 Attributes or can I make a ticket using a subset?

ex: Attributes: [A, C]

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Show more comments
Denzie Gray avatar image
Denzie Gray answered
@Citrus Yan

When creating or cancelling tickets via the multiplayer handler does that count toward the API call limit?

Also does "server.WriteTitleEvent" add to The API request Limit?

I am referring to this in the Limits section of CloudScript:

"Cloud Script execution API requests issue - 25"
1 comment
10 |1200

Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan commented ·

Yes, they all add to API requests limit.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.