question

endlessembrace0 avatar image
endlessembrace0 asked

How easy to migrate legacy server to servers 2.0 ?

It's not entirely clear to me how to migrate to servers 2.0 without any problems.

So I have a client and a server. The server was used only for duels in my game and the player was connected to it only after the player pressed the play button. "PlayFabClientAPI.Matchmake (new MatchmakeRequest ()" was called from the client and everything worked fine.

1) Do I need to add some logic / sdk on the client due to the transition from legacy to servers 2.0?
2) After several attempts, I was able to add gsdk to the server and got the deployed status in the servers 2.0 section, but when I try to connect from the client, I get an error.
3) Where in servers 2.0 should I specify the build version, game mode, etc.?
4) If the migration can take too long, is it possible to leave the legacy server. Are you planning to remove the legacy server in the next few years?

I used code

12345.png (50.8 KiB)
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

1) Do I need to add some logic / sdk on the client due to the transition from legacy to servers 2.0?

You need to use PlayFab SDK’s Multiplayer API methods to request the server 2.0. The methods that are designed for the legacy server are unsuitable for server 2.0.

2) After several attempts, I was able to add gsdk to the server and got the deployed status in the servers 2.0 section, but when I try to connect from the client, I get an error.

As the first answer said, the API MatchMake is unsuitable for the new Multiplayer Server. If you didn’t integrate the server with PlayFab MatchMaking, you can use the API RequestMultiplayerServer to request a new server session. If you want to integrate the server build with PlayFab MatchMaking, you can refer to the documentation Integrating with PlayFab Multiplayer Servers.

Besides, you can refer to the GSDK sample on our official repo gsdkSamples. It also provides client samples.

3) Where in servers 2.0 should I specify the build version, game mode, etc.?

You needn’t specify them for server 2.0.
4) If the migration can take too long, is it possible to leave the legacy server. Are you planning to remove the legacy server in the next few years?

For developers who are still using the legacy server, it would not be deleted. But new users would be unable to create new legacy builds. We suggest that you use the new server hosting service to get richer features and more support resources.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

endlessembrace0 avatar image endlessembrace0 commented ·

Thank you very much for your answers!

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.