question

Aries Wiraprasetya avatar image
Aries Wiraprasetya asked

Where to store player data, game data etc...

Hi, I am newbie in playfab. I am developing game "texas holdem poker" (turn-base).

1. Where to store the player's data (email, name, phone number) and the game data (Players'_id, total_ winning, etc)?

2. I need to make sort of game session which holds the data where all the players in one room can get and update.

thanks in advance.

Player DataPlayer Inventory
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

First, it's important to note that email addresses, real names, and phone numbers may be considered Personally Identifying Information (PII) in many regions. In general, you should be extremely careful about what you do with PII, and talk to your legal counsel about your plans for how you will be handling it.

The player ID is a core part of PlayFab - you can simply use the PlayFab ID we generate. For things like total wins, we'd recommend using our Statistics service.

In general, poker games are relatively high-frequency. Players aren't going to want to wait hours or days for their next option to raise/call. Most developers with poker games using custom game server hosting, so that they can have a secure game session. Otherwise, the cheating potential is going to be extremely high. In that model, the server hosts the session, and only updates the backend data in PlayFab periodically (or at the end of the session).

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Aries Wiraprasetya answered

Hi thanks for your great reply.

regarding the custom game server hosting, can I do it in playfab?

or if somewhere else, can you tell me some website that provide that kind of service?

3 comments
10 |1200

Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan commented ·
1 Like 1 ·
Aries Wiraprasetya avatar image Aries Wiraprasetya Citrus Yan commented ·

Cool.. so I can create game session exactly like Brendan mention right?

Thanks dude

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan Aries Wiraprasetya commented ·

Sure, it's fully customized, you can implement whatever the game logic you want.

1 Like 1 ·
Aries Wiraprasetya answered

there are 2 options of platform windows and linux when doing the new build. What is the difference in terms of advantages?

1 comment
10 |1200

Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan commented ·

I can't really say which one is more suitable for your use case, but I think you can compare them by prices, supportability, performance, etc., and draw you own conclusions.

Here are some docs that might be helpful:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/servers/multiplayer-servers-detailed-price-sheet#linux-price-by-region-for-2-core-virtual-machines

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/linux/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/

1 Like 1 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.