question

rknoesel avatar image
rknoesel asked

How to delete lots of old accounts

What's the best way to delete players who haven't signed in for some time?

In our case, I want to be able to delete 20+ million players who haven't logged in for more than 6 months. The admin api only seems to support deleting a single user at a time, which I'm guessing is not going to work very will with this many users. I've seen references in the forums to a 'DeleteUsers' admin call to delete multiple users, but this doesn't seem to exist anymore.

The reason we want to do this is to reduce our 'Profile Storage' cost after the pricing changes about to go into effect.

Thanks!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

[Edited]The suggested way to delete lots of players is to split them into several small Segments, then run the Scheduled task to delete the players in these Segments in batches.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

Please note that player deletion is a non-trivial process, as a number of tables must be updated (to remove all potential PII for the player, their data, etc.). That does mean that each player deletion will "tick" the Profile Write meter, based on the amount of work needed to complete the operation (so, if you use a lot of user data keys, for example, that would increase the total).

0 Likes 0 ·
Steve Falzon avatar image
Steve Falzon answered

I've seen this asked a few times and it's something I wanted to do myself without the added work of writing code... following on from Sarah's suggestion...

I created a time based segment and added a delete task when a player enters it. Working fine so far, players are being deleted as I type this.

I'm not sure of the cost. I'm doing this in a test title to delete old test accounts.

1 comment
10 |1200

Steve Falzon avatar image Steve Falzon commented ·

Though I may have spoken too soon, apologies for that. I think player deletion jobs were still running from manual deletions.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.