question

giorgiotino avatar image
giorgiotino asked

Is DeviceUniqueId the IDFA?

We would like to figure out if there is a way to retrieve the IDFA of our player's devices.

I see that the /Client/ReportDeviceInfo sends, along with the DeviceInfo, a field called DeviceUniqueId, but it's not clear to me what that actually is for iOS and Android.

We are using Unity, and I wonder if that DeviceUniqueId is the IDFA as returned by, e.g. for iOS the Unity method: Device.advertisingIdentifier or what.

If PlayFab does not provide this automatically we can probably store that IDFA in our player Objects.

And what about Android? what does that field represent?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

No, using the advertising identifier is specifically prohibited by policy on some platforms. Using it may mean you can't pass their certification, or that you may get pulled from their store, so you should review the platform requirements for whichever ones you're planning to ship on.

In our Unity SDK, that ID is the same as the Unity SystemInfo.deviceUniqueIdentifier. It's meant to be a unique ID that you can use to consistently sign the player in. But you can send whatever you like as the ID in the login calls, as long as it's reliably unique and consistent for the player (you could, for example, generate a GUID that you save locally).

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

giorgiotino avatar image giorgiotino commented ·

Thanks for you answer,

besides problems with specific platforms/stores, is there any restriction on PlayFab to store IDFAs? In other words, is it ok with PlayFab that we get the IDFAs and store them as Objects or PlayerData?

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.