question

ajon542 avatar image
ajon542 asked

Does anyone use a Mac development environment for custom game servers?

I've been investigating the game server functionality of PlayFab and all the instructions for setting up the game server and testing it locally are geared towards a Windows development environment (which I understand). I was wondering if anyone has developed, tested (locally) and deployed a game server using a Mac development environment and/or if this even supported.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/servers/locally-debugging-game-servers-and-integration-with-playfab

Custom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

PlayFab service is based on Restful API, hence it is weakly related to any platforms. However, the Multiplayer Server 2.0 (MPS) will require developers to create a server build and there are only 2 supported platforms, Windows and Linux. The reason is that MPS is using Docker to maintain the server instances and currently it doesn’t support MacOS as Docker environment.

If you are developing on MacOS, at least you will need to build to an external Windows VM or Linux VM. Meanwhile, it doesn’t matter which type of platform that your client is using.

If your requirement is to build an executable on MacOS, it is not supported by MacOS to build the Windows binaries. You may consider using Wine for it. I am not expert on it and you may find more support on corresponding developer community.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ajon542 avatar image
ajon542 answered

To add some more information, I was able to follow the https://github.com/PlayFab/gsdkSamples/tree/master/WindowsRunnerCSharp, build and upload the game server and run the game client all on a Mac.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.