question

Kyle Meadows avatar image
Kyle Meadows asked

Question about available VMs/pricing

Hello, I had a few questions.

1): Is it possible to use the 'm' Av2 series VMs? My game is very memory bound, so I need as much memory as possible - cpu usage is very light. It would be great if I could use, say, the A2m v2.

2): Does the standard plan (at $99 a month) include the 750 free VM hours? If I were able to use the a2m v2 VMs, would that be included under the 750 free Av2 hours?

3): How do I monitor performance on the VMs? I found a way to connect to the Windows VM I was using, and I saw a few processes related to Docker, but I couldn't find any information about the individual games being played or the direct memory/cpu usage from them. There was a server manager, but it didn't seem to give much information about this - nor did the task manager.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Sure thing:

1. At the moment, we have only the server models that you can select in the build configuration menu. That said, we are working on adding more server models (and regions) to the available options, so I'll pass on your recommendation to the Multiplayer team.

2. The free server hosting we provide is what is shown on the pricing page in our docs: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/servers/billing-for-thunderhead. Currently, that's 750 hours of hosting on the Av2 and Fv2 servers, specifically in the East US and Northern Europe regions, available in the build configuration in the Game Manager.

3. If you're connecting to the server via the Server sub-tab, you should be able to see the information about what's running on that server instance. Can you confirm how you're connecting?

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Kyle Meadows avatar image Kyle Meadows commented ·

1): Thanks, that would be super useful. Do you know how things like this typically take? We are planning on releasing before December.

2): I know about the 750 free hours, but I was making sure it works with the $99 plan as well. I'm guessing it does?

3): When I have a VM running I go to the list of vms and click "connect". It downloads a file and once I open it I put in the password and remote connects to the vm. The memory usage in the task manager does increase when I run the game, but no processes appear.

I'm worried about memory usage because our game is usually 1v1 or 2v2, and it seems each game that starts uses around 150 - 200 mb; 2-3 times more than on my desktop or personal vm. I'm assuming running in the docker container has a lot of memory overhead? If that's how much each game uses we really can't use this service.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kyle Meadows avatar image Kyle Meadows commented ·

Sorry, just to explain the 1v1 or 2v2 comment - that means there will be quite a lot of individual games going on opposed to, say, 8v8 games. If each docker container is adding that much memory overhead, the cost will be far too much for us.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.