question

Matt avatar image
Matt asked

Remove a running server after deleting build.

Hi folks,

I can't seem to get my server to stop running, it's just gobbling up hours. I deleted a build at one point before removing the regions, and since then the server won't close. Is there a new, different, or better way to stop a legacy server instead of just turning off all of the regions?

Also, within the legacy server area, I always get an error after uploading a build, changing settings, etc. They still take effect, so it's not broken, but I get an error on the screen saying it didn't work. It doesn't seem to affect anything functionally, just thought I'd mention it!

Thanks!

-Matt

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Matt avatar image
Matt answered

Ok so I noticed a few other posts about this issue from a couple of years ago. I went into the Active Games tab and noticed an instance was running. That instance is why the host server would not shut down. I manually terminated those instances and the host shut down successfully.

My concern and question right now is...what would cause an instance to remain active and how can I prevent that situation from happening in the future? I really want to make sure I don't lose control of the server status.

Thanks for the help!

-Matt

5 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ commented ·

This is a scenario that your sever build should handle in the code. The server build should check once a while and attempt to shut down if there is no active connections for a period of time.

As there is no documentation available on the website. It will be hard for us to support the legacy custom server. If you are in paid tier, it will be better to use "Contact Us" button in Game Manager to submit a support ticket.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matt avatar image Matt Seth Du ♦ commented ·

Yes thank you for the response, I do plan to enter a paid tier as soon as I launch the game. In regards to making a check within the server, I do have the following code in place. I have no idea why there'd have been a stray instance running that never shut down.

This coroutine is run when a player disconnects and both the boarding and battling lists are empty. I don't know how to find out if either of those are non-0 for the running server (never had issues on a local build).

IEnumerator CheckForConnections()
{
	yield return new WaitForSeconds( 1200f );

if( m_PlayersBoarding.Count <= 0 && m_PlayersBattling.Count <= 0 )
		ShutdownSignal.Dispatch();
}
0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ Matt commented ·

It looks fine. You may need to have a detailed log for analysis.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matt avatar image Matt Seth Du ♦ commented ·

That's great advice, I'll definitely work heavily on debugging this out so I can understand what's happening.

How exactly do I provide output to the log on the server running on the Playfab service? I clicked on Log File for a few archived games, it lead to a 404 error so the files seem to not exist.

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ Matt commented ·

I am referring official sample on https://github.com/PlayFab/PlayFabGameServer and cannot reproduced this issue. I can retrieve a detailed log file from my server build in the testing title.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rick Chen avatar image
Rick Chen answered

What is your title ID? Let me summaries your issues to make it easy for us to reproduce the issue and I will pass through your concerns to the corresponding team.

Scenario 1:

• Try stop your legacy server running
  • Delete a build
  • Server still running
  • Remove the regions
  • Server can stop running

Scenario 2:

• Try to upload a build
  • Action can be done but error message is reported on the webpage
  • Try to configure a settings
  • Settings can be saved but error message is reported on the webpage

For the Scenario 2, could you tell me what was the exact error message that you received?

Am I missing something in the procedure? If I am, please tell me the detail about the procedure.

3 comments
10 |1200

Matt avatar image Matt commented ·

Oh right, my title ID is AC50. As of right now, the server is still running, eating up hours, and I can't get it to stop. It's been running for like 12 hours now.

For scenario 1, you can't remove regions after you've deleted a build, the option to adjust settings is tied to the build. I believe I deleted the build *before* removing the regions, and so I lost the ability to remove regions...which is how I've always stopped servers running in the past.

For scenario 2, that is exactly what happens. Everything goes through successfully, but I get an empty error message when I do it. There's no message or code associated with it, it just says 'Error'.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rick Chen avatar image Rick Chen ♦ Matt commented ·

You mentioned the server was eating up 12 hours. In fact, if you shut down a build immediately after start the build, 1 hour would be consumed. Did you count this scenario to the hours?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matt avatar image Matt Rick Chen ♦ commented ·

Yes I understand how the hours work. I was talking about how the server is still running, even as of right now (days at this point), consuming hours and increasing my bill at the end of the month...and I can't shut it down.

1. Can you please shut the server down on your end?

2. If you know of a way to get around this bug in the future, I'd be eager to know.

Thanks!

-Matt

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.