question

John Karabinos avatar image
John Karabinos asked

GameSparks Migration

Hey!

I'm working on a digital card game. Currently we have a functioning backend in development mode in Gamesparks. As we inch closer to release, I'm considering switching to Playfab, mainly due to the lack of support from Amazon.

I have a few technical questions that I'll lay out here

1. Currently, we store the cards as json blobs in the Gamesparks database. It seems like the equivalent on Playfab is Title Data. Would it make sense to store each card as a separate entry? It is possible to query for all cards with a given attribute, or perhaps retrieve all items and then parse them? If we wanted to store some other data type, is there a way to make a new set of Title Data?

2. Gamesparks has the concept of a Challenge, which basically holds all of the information for a given match instance. This works nicely for a turn based game. Is there something similar on Playfab? I'd definitely like to avoid uploading a server executable. Could this be accomplished via cloud scripts? I'm not exactly sure where the match data would live, but perhaps it could be stored as player data?

Thanks in advance for your help!

John

Player DataCloudScriptTitle Data
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

1. PlayFab doesn’t support customized database. In terms of cards, we will recommend using Catalog items to manage them. Developers are able to define Custom Data for each Catalog item, which can be used as attributes. Clients can call GetCatalogItems API to get a full list of items with Custom Data. After that, the client may maintain a local copy of items, so that we may “query for all cards with a given attribute”. Title Data is a sharded and cached resources (which definitely is more valuable), it is more suitable for global data. You may check title limits on [Game manager] -> [Title Settings] -> [Limits] where all resources of a PlayFab title have been listed.

2. For turn-based games, PlayFab have provided a official tutorial of implementation, which is without dedicated hosting servers. Please refer to: Example: Turn-based multiplayer Async games

Welcome to PlayFab, if you have any questions, please let us know.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

John Karabinos avatar image John Karabinos commented ·

Thanks for the info and the quick response!

1 Like 1 ·
John Karabinos avatar image John Karabinos commented ·

Thanks for the info and the quick response!

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.