question

PAVLO VANSOVYCH avatar image
PAVLO VANSOVYCH asked

PlayFab MatchMaking + Server,

Good Evening, and in start - Please sorry for my English if i spells some mistakes. I have a question about MatchMaking.

So we start designing and developing our game, and in future we wants to match our players.

So we get a success in work with Playfab BackEnd Storing (we have our players acounts and data stored on PlayFab)

Also we created a few scenes to test:

+++Login scene+++

With Lobby UI where user log in to the game and customize his player, he also see his personal stats from playfab, and based on this he can customize his "Puppet" for a next "QuickMatch" and the second scene. Also here we have Leader Rankings based on gathered items on GameScene on every Match that players was in.

+++GameScene+++

Where the game logic comes in... (gather items and coins online and store it on playfab)

So what do we need to ask...

At now we are working with Playfab + Unity + Photon PUN(for match making) .

It works, we test it, but in future we have to work only with PlayFab services (BackEnd stored data + Playfab servers + matchmaking or party producs)

But... it is not cheap as weve just started. While we are in development state we want to test how it works with our own server. So how to do it?

From articles i`ve readed it looks like : Download Custom server, make an executable server client...throw it to my second computer and run. Then i set up my Game Unity Project that already has PlayFab integration and simply use PlayFabServerApi and MatchMaking API to run my game, connect t my custom server by Playfab MatchMaking ticket system and if for example we throw it to test somewhere....they also would connect to my Server. So it would be free. Then if we would be close to publish our game - we just buy Hosting solutions for server from PlayFab for scalling. And in Future, if our game gathered 1000 players - Playfab VM would create as many servers as many clients want to matches ?

Give us some advice to start. For now we need it to see how it works...

The game we made is physicaly based - players can move cubes and other objects, and objects moves players by force from phys.engine of Unity. So our 1 match for example it would be regulary sending (positions, rotations, animations, and turn on\off efects) Photon for now do this for us... but seems that sync rigidbodys is not perfect - we start looking for any other Server solution (self or from Playfab)

Matchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

PlayFab Matchmaking integrates with PlayFab Multiplayer Servers (MPS) quite easily, that saves a lot of time for you to implement a separate server hosting system that integrates with the Matchmaking system. And, we also provide some free server hosting hours for you to test & evaluate your servers hosted on PlayFab, details are listed here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/servers/billing-for-thunderhead. That should be enough for you during development state and you won’t be charged as long as you don’t exceed the free quota. Therefore, I would suggest that you try using the Matchmaking system with MPS and see if it suits your needs. You can start with these tutorials:

Matchmaking Integrating with PlayFab Multiplayer Servers

Multiplayer Servers Overview

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.