question

Anant Sharma avatar image
Anant Sharma asked

Guidance for cheat prevention

Hi all I'm developing a third person arena shooter for mobile I'm a single dev and it's impossible for me to setup a dedicated server I rely solely on cloud script for cheat prevention In my game I need an effective and efficient way to prevent users from modifying weapons data and make the weapons over powered For speed hacks, one shot kills and collider hacks I'm relying solely on report system (user submitted reports) But it's impossible to for users to know if another player increases the weapon damage or fire rate or range slightly making the weapon better than its suppose to be Now i can simply send weapon name and the shooters playfab id from the Clint who's shot as cloud script parameters upon every hit detection And calculate in cloudscript that if the shooter have that weapon unlocked and if yes then calculate the damage according to a table of variables which contain damage value of all the weapons But the problem is that one Clint can call cloudscript only 5 times in 1 second and a user can get shot well over 5 times in one second because it's a fast paced shooter And if i call cloudscript at fixed intervals for example once every second and send all the weapons hit by and the player id's and number of times hit by. Then Clint can easily modify the source code and make the shot counts lesser and even remove some players entirely causing them to receive little or no damage. Now i know cloudscript aren't meant to behave like dedicated servers but i belive amongst all the great minds here, one can suggest me a clever way to prevent weapon modifications from users while staying withing the limits of cloudscripts Cloudscript calls are my only chance to prevent cheaters from ruining the fairness. Please help a fellow indie dev Any suggestion or guidance would be very much appreciated Thanks ❤️

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

It doesn't matter how smart we are - what you're asking is, how to use an occasional call to Cloud Script to prevent cheating in a realtime game. With no hosting server, your clients will be authoritative. That means, as you say, any modifications made to the local client code would result in cheating behavior. Trying to detect that would require (again, as you say) frequent checks of player position, as well as validation of the player's equipment and damage values every time they shoot at the other player (at a minimum). And calling Cloud Script that frequently not only is not what that service is designed for, it would be more expensive than running hosted servers (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/pricing/meters/meters#cloudscript).

You could have the clients report their player inventories at the start of a match, and then send a report of player actions at the end of the match, and check all the values in each to see if you can spot any bad behavior, but since the client is authoritative, again, that can be falsified.

Another layer past that would be to have each client send up a report at the start and end of the match containing all the details. You'd have to coordinate on when both reports are available to check, and determine a consistent way to make any changes you want to at the end of the match only once. Like choosing a client to "drive" the processing of the report analysis and having the other client only check to see if it's done, taking over the "driver" responsibility if the reports haven't been analyzed for some long period of time. Since a hacked client could lie on each report, the start report is just so that there's a record that the two clients initiated a match (so that a rage quit won't prevent the final analysis). The end report analysis would be checking both that the clients agree on the details and that there aren't any obvious signs of cheating (weapons used, damage done, etc.). And if one client doesn't send a report at all (they exited the app), you need to decide how to handle that. Do you trust the one remaining client? The problems with this are numerous, not the least of which is the fact that since this is a realtime game, it sounds like you're going to be connecting the players peer-to-peer. In which case, since player A has player B's IP Address, it's trivial to pay a few $ online to kick off a DDoS attack on player B's IP. So player B winds up dropping, and player A's report is the only thing you have to go by. A cheated client could then send any report it wants to.

So, the next step past that is to use something like Lockstep (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockstep_protocol) to coordinate between the clients, so that the cheat prevention becomes a process where the two clients have to continuously agree on what's happening in the game. The issue with that is that it has significant performance penalties, which generally won't work with fast-paced realtime games (where you're already going to have to do everything you can to reduce latencies). Again, in this model you'd need to do some kind of coordinated report check at the end, but it would be an improvement over the report-only method above, if you can afford the performance hit.

Basically, to effectively prevent cheating in the type of game you describe, we would recommend using a custom game server to host the session, so that it can be authoritative. Anything less than that is going to require fairly extensive work that will still be vulnerable to cheating without continual re-evaluation and improvement. For any non-trivial player population, you'd have hackers experimenting to find ways around your current implementation - which becomes the classic situation with this type of cheat protection, in that you build a higher wall, and they just build a taller ladder.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Anant Sharma avatar image Anant Sharma commented ·

Well thanku so much for the descriptive answer. I guess i have no option other than going an extra mile and host a dedicated server.

One more thing which i know is out of context for this forum but just in case could you guide me towards a good starting point for setting up a really basic server. Any kind of guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much again

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Anant Sharma commented ·

You're quite welcome. For completeness, I should have also highlighted the potential to use rollback (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netcode#Input_delay_and_rollback_networking), but that would add another layer of complexity as you'd have to handle all the rewind-and-replay logic associated with that. Still, it would be a way to reduce the latency issues of Lockstep.

To get started with hosted game servers, our quickstart (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/servers/quickstart-for-multiplayer-servers-api-powershell) provides a walkthough, including a link to the GitHub repo containing some sample server code.

1 Like 1 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.