question

sten avatar image
sten asked

Frequent updates to user inventory

I'm building a single player game in which the user will gain and consume many items during a short time, possibly 50 different items in a minute or more. Granting and consuming them will work by server side logic, as the items will have a small relation to real life money.

As I understand there are several limits to the amount of server requests that can be made - I would like to know if PlayFab is a feasible solution for me to use for this game. Also, if it is, I guess the correct approach would be to use a custom game server, not cloud scripts?

limitsPlayer Inventory
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ commented ·

May I ask how do you handle the granting and consuming behavior? ConsumeItem API only allows one item per API call. Your scenario only works when the items are granted or revoked within one call. I believe 50 API calls within a minute will easily result in throttling.

However, in the common scenario, inventory items with such frequent changes should use stackable items, which can be modified the remaining uses via ModifyItemUses API and it can be done on Cloud Script. If it is the case, I believe it won't exceed the limit easily and you may also add an anti-cheat verification part before the grants.

If you have any other specific needs, we will also recommend hosting an external database server to handle frequent writes, for example, Redis.

0 Likes 0 ·

0 Answers

·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.