question

Kyle Meadows avatar image
Kyle Meadows asked

Why am I being charged for a "FlatFee"...?

I'm really confused about an invoice I just received. I'm on development tier and did not go over my monthy free VM hours, but I'm being changed over $150 for a "FlatFee Monthly Minimum." I've been using the development tier for well over a year by now but I've never been charged this before.

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Kyle Meadows avatar image Kyle Meadows commented ·

Also, the contract page does not load for me; the loading circle continues to cycle. Can I have the email I should send to?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Kyle Meadows commented ·

For questions on your invoice, simply reply to the email that sent it to you and our accounting team can help.

The contact us form sounds like a separate issue - all paid tier accounts have access to ticket-based support. From any title page, if you click the ? in the upper right of the screen and select Contact, are you able to submit a ticket?

0 Likes 0 ·
Kyle Meadows avatar image Kyle Meadows brendan commented ·

I meant this webpage: https://playfab.com/contact/ the little loading circle never stops turning on my desktop, but it seems to work on my phone. I wasn't even aware I had ticket based support.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The flat fee for your tier is charged at the start of the month. Any consumption charges that exceed your included meters is charged the following month. So, when you first sign up for a tier, most of the time (as in this case), you're going to see the pro-rated charge for the flat fee for the month you signed up (looking on your invoice, it shows $76.65 as you signed up on July 8th), and the full amount for the current month (August).

7 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

So going over any meter immediately means this fee? And it doesn't even say where it's coming from? That seems extremely predatorial.

0 Likes 0 ·

I don't understand the question. You signed up for the Standard tier, which is $99 a month (http://playfab.com/pricing). We charged the partial portion of that fee for July, from when you signed up on the 8th. The invoice also includes that fee for August, since it was the August invoice. There are no meter charges on your invoice of any kind - only the flat fee of the tier you selected. Can you help me understand where this doesn't make sense?

0 Likes 0 ·

I definitely did not sign up for the standard tier; that makes no sense. It told me the tiers were updating so I had to eventually migrate, so I click the button in it did it.

It says I'm on development?

0 Likes 0 ·

I mean, I feel like you understand the problem; you can see my meters. It makes no sense for me to be on that tier, so I'm surprised I'm on the paid tier at the moment.

You can understand someone's frustration for being charged $150 for something they obviously did not sure, right?

0 Likes 0 ·

Actually, I was only looking at the invoice. I pulled up the studio to look at the titles, and do see that they're both in Development Mode. But I see what happened. On the sign-up screens, it gives you the option to either be limited to Dev Mode (free) titles, or to go with the Standard mode, but I suspect the wording may be confusing. I'll switch your studio to free mode (note that you won't have private support ticket access anymore, though you can always ask questions here in the forums), and ask the billing team to refund the July/August fees.

Just so you know, if you're in the free tier, you have an "Upgrade Account" button at the top of the title screens (and on the Studio bar on the top-level PlayFab dashboard).

0 Likes 0 ·
Kyle Meadows avatar image Kyle Meadows brendan commented ·

I see. That must've been when it happened. I didn't even know I had private support ticket access. Thanks for your help.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.