question

Edward Richardson avatar image
Edward Richardson asked

Getting a list of active parties

I seem to be missing or misunderstanding something regarding PlayFabs parties API, I can't seem to figure out how a client is supposed to retrieve a list of other active parties. This seems to have me stuck on translating a function I used to have with Xbox Live, but I can't figure out what the parity of the function is here.

Currently parties seem to use cloud scripts to store their descriptors in temporary groups, but I can't retrieve a list of groups. The documentation itself suggests using matchmaking to prepare a party with a group of players, but there appears to be no function to retrieve a list of active matchmaking lobbies (plus I would apparently require out of band communication to send the lobby descriptor and it lists no example on how to go about doing that). Alternatives I could think of is having a single individual group to read and write active games to, but the documentation itself extremely advises against this incase I had, say, 1000 players pull this list at once (not that I expect that to happen a lot, but it's plausible). Title storage itself is potentially too slow and not ideal for real time lists either.

What are my options for implementing this?

Matchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

PlayFab Party does not integrate such features or API to retrieve the list of existing PlayFab Party Networks. As you said, we also don’t provide the API to list the Shared Groups and Matches. Currently, PlayFab does not have such a built-in data system that can be frequently read and written by all users. In other words, we don’t provide any features like listing the unions, listing the available channels, etc.

About this thing that Title Data and Shared Group Data is not capable of such global data system, here are some threads discussing them extensively.

https://community.playfab.com/questions/10445/using-titledata-for-world-stats.html

https://community.playfab.com/questions/3843/use-shared-group-data-for-a-live-event-system.html

The workaround, for now, would be to use an external data table to store the groups you create, like Redis, MongoDB, etc. You can use Http calls from Cloud Script or Cloud Script using Azure Functions to use one with Web API interfaces.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.