question

fivashov avatar image
fivashov asked

Matchmaking with self-deployed servers

Hello! I make a game in which 2 players fight among themselves on a dedicated server (Photon). I host the server instances myself, without using the playfab server. I want to use playfab matchmaking service. I do not understand the mechanism of playfab (scheme)

1. How can I choose one of the free servers, call the command to create a session for the server. And give a command to clients to connect to the desired server?

2. Can playfab api solve this?

sheme.png (72.7 KiB)
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

fivashov avatar image
fivashov answered
@SethDu

Thank you for your quick response!

I want to ask some additional questions.

1. It’s clear. Using Playfab Api, I can get the ports to connect using the GetMatch method.

2. Can I use PlayFab Cloud Scripts to implement part of the agent server functions. For example, to implement a custom method for communicating and passing parameters with game servers?

3.You suggest using Photon Realtime as a server agent. Or set up work through Photon Cloud + Clients + Game server without intermediaries?

I apologize for the incorrect questions.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ commented ·

2. Cloud Script is using Google V8 JavaScript engine and it may partially take over some functions of an agent server, however, it cannot completely replace even the core part of an agent server due to many factors, for example, the execution time limit.

3. Photon real-time includes matchmaking/lobby feature. Meanwhile, Photon Cloud should be an extra service (I am not sure and you need to consult the Photon support). My Suggestion is PlayFab + Photon Realtime if you want to use Photon as Multiplayer Server. PlayFab natively supports Photon Realtime and Chat integration as an add-on.

0 Likes 0 ·
fivashov avatar image fivashov Seth Du ♦ commented ·

Thanks for your answers.

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

The new Matchmaking will be convenient to use when working with PlayFab Multiplayer Servers 2.0, and when auto allocation is enabled, PlayFab will distribute and initiate a server instance for the matched ticket. Meanwhile, the standalone Matchmaking system itself is designed for matchmaking process, which means after the ticket is matched, the process is done.

Since you are using photon as dedicated custom server and assume you use PlayFab Matchmaking, you will need to have your own another agent server to handle the requests from players, where matchmaking result will be retrieved and allocating multiplayer server from photon to the players.

The legacy Matchmaker may help but it is difficult for us to provide a good quality technical support because the Multiplayer Server 2.0 feature is recommended and legacy documentation is hard to find. Here is few documentation:

You may also consider using Photon’s matchmaking:

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.