question

dkhelpling avatar image
dkhelpling asked

As a beginner, how do I learn best practices?

Hello everyone,

I am currently a beginner with Unity and am wanting to start my learning journey for backend development and found Playfab. I'm currently focuses on the mobile game space, but am struggling to find direction in terms of how to utilize Playfab. I understand basics like authentication, but am struggling on where I can utilize server data for my game. I want to learn what is best to have computed on client side vs server side. I also want to learn what tasks are too exhaustive for servers to handle and what aren't. If you have any advice or direction whether that be youtube videos, forum posts, udemy tutorials, experience, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!

In-Game Economydatatasks
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

Game design is a very general question, and normally, we will need a more detailed scenario so that we can help you implement PlayFab in your game. We do have few official YouTube tutorials but there can be partially out of date. If you search for PlayFab, there can be recent implementation tutorials by external developers. There are also some official samples that you can find on: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/resources/recipes-and-samples, which may help you learn PlayFab.

To learn what task that the server is able to handle, the best way is still trying it on your own. If you have created a title, you may navigate to [Game Manager] -> [Title Settings] -> [Limits], where all the limits of APIs are listed. If limit exceeding related error is reported when you test APIs, you may find help in this place. For example:

Player data updates per request 10 items

Player data value size 300,000 bytes

Player data value updates per 15 seconds 5 update operations

Player data value updates per 5 minutes 150 update operations

Player data value updates per hour 1,800 update operations

It means PlayFab allows updating 10 KVP within one API call and the total size of data that can store in Player Data is 300,000 bytes. Meanwhile, every one hour, there can be 1800 update API call can be handled, and players will be allowed to have few higher update frequency within a short time (15s and 5 min). Any API call exceeding above limit will be rejected and responds with limit exceeding error.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.