question

Muhammad Roshaan Tariq avatar image
Muhammad Roshaan Tariq asked

Leaderboard/Tournament questions

I want to create two types of tournaments in my game:

• Personal tournament
  • Team/Clan tournament

PERSONAL TOURNAMENT:

• Each tournament should be for 48hrs based on (UTC-7) time zone (It means once the current tournament is over, the next tournament should start immediately.)
  • 50 players/tournament will join and they will be divided randomly. For example, if we have 1000 players, we will divide them to 20 tournaments.
  • Mechanic : The team who gets the most stars/score in that period will win
  • Prizes:
    • Top 3 should get 100 coins
    • Top 10 should get 10 coins
  • Only players who are active in last 48hrs can join.

TEAM/CLAN TOURNAMENT:

• It should be held Fri-Sun(UTC -7) = 72hrs
  • 10 teams or clans/tournament will join and they will be divided randomly.
  • The team/clan who gets the most stars/scores in that period will win.
  • Prizes:
    • 10000 Coins divided equally to all team/clan members

Based on above mentioned requirements of both tournaments:

• What is supported by Playfab and what is not?
  • The things which are not supported by Playfab, can they be done using any work around? If yes, please suggest the work around?

apisunity3dsdksLeaderboards and Statistics
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

Your requirement is very customized, and we have spent plenty of time to check if there is a feasible solution. However, we can only tell you some features that can be implemented on PlayFab, in terms of how to combine those features, you need to come out on your own. Otherwise, you will need some experts on Game Design.

• PERSONAL TOURNAMENT:
  • Each tournament should be for 48hrs: create a Scheduled Task to run every 48hrs.
  • 50 players/tournament will join, and they will be divided randomly: It is not supported that passively divide all players in a title into different tournament. It is slimier to matchmaking but matchmaking requires player actively request for a ticket, and the matching time is various, which mean your tournament will be asynchronous.
  • The team who gets the most stars/score and sending out prize: sub-leaderboard is not supported, the current implement only has a global leaderboard. If you want to maintain sub-leaderboard via workarounds, it will be difficult and inefficient.
  • Only players who are active in last 48hrs can join: Segment can classify those players, however, Segment passively obtain the data. After the configuration is done, the number won’t change because it doesn’t support actively refreshing the last login time. It is by design and you may find reference in the community threads. However, you can store the last login time in Player Data for reference as another workaround solution.
  • TEAM/CLAN TOURNAMENT:
    • It is not supported by PlayFab. As I have mentioned above, the Leaderboard is only for Global. The workaround is using a specific Statistic for Team/Clan Leader to mark as Team score.
    • Distributing prize for a team will be another difficulty. The Global Leaderboard can only send prize to whom have statistics, if you use the above workaround. The Leaders will hold the whole prize, and they need to actively click to send out prize. Otherwise, there should be another Scheduled task for distribution.

In a word, we will recommend implementing an external agent server (for example, Redis) to manage tournament data. The scenario won’t be convenient to implement on PlayFab via many workarounds.

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Muhammad Roshaan Tariq avatar image Muhammad Roshaan Tariq commented ·

Thank you @SethDu for your detailed response. Is there any timeline when these features will be available and supported by Playfab? Are they under develop or should I launch a request feature for my future games?

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ Muhammad Roshaan Tariq commented ·

It will be appreciated if you can summarize the features you require and send a thread for each of them on the Feature Requests forum. Votes from other developers in the community may help with the priority.

In terms of the Leaderboard V2, currently there is no ETA. If you are paid tier user, you may submit a support ticket to request for the access. However, we cannot guarantee the access request will be granted by the product team.

0 Likes 0 ·
Denzie Gray avatar image Denzie Gray Seth Du ♦ commented ·

@SethDu
By paid tier does that include the Standard Plan as well?
I would benefit greatly if tournaments could be tied to a statistic that I could delete later.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.