question

Lothar avatar image
Lothar asked

Matchmaking tutorial

Hi,

I spent a lot of time to understand the MatchMaking. I red a lot of documents that explain more or less how it's works.

But I didn't understand really how can I use it.

There is a easy tutorial can I read or some piece of software can I study?

My game is easy I need to put 2 player to fight against.
I don't have a GameServer, I didn't understand also if the Playfab Server has extra cost...btw imagin I'll have my own game server and I want to use the MatchMaking features of Playfab...

What I've to do after player receive a ticket from CreateMatchmakingTicket?

I'm really tired...I'm feel as in a maze

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

If you refer to the documentation on: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/matchmaking/quickstart, the workflow chart has illustrated the process of matchmaking.

• You will need to configure a Matchmaking Queue first.
  • 2 players create tickets.
  • Each player on their client will call GetMatchmakingTicket API every 6s (can be longer, but 6s is the highest recommended frequency) until the status of the ticket become ‘Matched’.
  • There will be Match ID for a matched ticket, get match information via GetMatch API.

Please be very careful that ‘Matchmaker’ and ‘Matchmaking’ are 2 separate system, and the former is the legacy one. You may refer to all ‘Matchmaking’ related documentation instead of ‘Matchmaker’.

In terms of Multiplayer Servers, it needs to be paid separately. If the Matchmaking Queue has enabled Auto Allocation, a multiplayer server instance will be initialized and distribute the IP address and port in the callback result of GetMatch API. Meanwhile, if you have your own game server, you will need to implement a system that let your server know the match result and tell player clients which server to connect.

I am not sure which documentation you are referring, the official documentation should be straightforward. Please always find tutorials on our official website. The Matchmaking documents are listed in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/matchmaking/

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Lothar avatar image
Lothar answered

Ok,

Now 90% is clear thanks.

If I understood well it means that after the last with GetMatch I can have all informations about match and I can transfer all information to my own game server for starting game.

1 comment
10 |1200

Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ commented ·

Yes and it is better to add some verification steps on the server in case there are hacks or abusive use. Meanwhile, if you are using PlayFab Multiplayer Server and auto allocation is enabled. Matchmaking will transfer parts of information into the server GSDK, for example, initialPlayers.

If you have any question on PlayFab Multiplayer Server, feel free to send a new thread on the forum.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.