question

yusit avatar image
yusit asked

In what scenario does PlayFab suit for?

My customer plans to create a gaming content where users can communicate in a virtual space just like "VR Chat" and "Cluster", and she considers managed service "PlayFab" as platform under two scenarios below:

1. Scenerio1: By launching instance up to 20 users under gaming server only when needed, just like MU Online (MO).
  2. Scenario2: By maintaining server running full-time, user will be assigned upon registration, just like Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) .

She assumes that PlayFab suits with Scenario1, but is not sure if it is good for Scenario2. Is it good enough for Scenario2 (MMO)? Also, Is it possible to connect to preferred server(where friends are there) by in-house match making server?

My customer plans to create a gaming content where users can communicate in a virtual space just like "VR Chat" and "Cluster", and she considers managed service "PlayFab" as platform under two scenarios below:

• Scenerio1: By launching instance up to 20 users under gaming server only when needed, just like MU Online (MO).
  • Scenario2: By maintaining server running full-time, user will be assigned upon registration, just like Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) .

She assumes that PlayFab suits with Scenario1, but is not sure if it is good for Scenario2. Is it good enough for Scenario2 (MMO)? Also, Is it possible to connect to preferred server(where friends are there) by in-house match making server?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

Yes, PlayFab suits with Scenario1, this could be done using PlayFab Multiplayer Servers:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/servers/

In addition, she can use PlayFab Party as chat services:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/networking/

For scenario 2, if you mean that all players in the game can do something like spawning and interacting with each other in real time in the “world” hosted by the server, then PlayFab is not suited, she may need to host a custom server for this. PlayFab as a backend service is well suited for managing all user-associated data.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

yusit avatar image yusit commented ·

Thank you so much for answering I will share it with my customer! Have a nice weekend !

@Citrus Yan Thank you so much for answering inquiries. I will share it with my customer. Have a nice weekend!

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan yusit commented ·

Glad it helped:)

0 Likes 0 ·
SniperED007 avatar image
SniperED007 answered

If your customer is using Unity then be aware that Party Voice chat does not support positional sound, so the experience would be pretty poor, you would be better off using Photon Voice instead as they hook directly into Unity Audio player allowing you to do positional SFX as well as any other effects like Echo reverb etc. to simulate the sound in the game environment.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.