question

Lewis Herbert avatar image
Lewis Herbert asked

How many cloudscript calls are too many?

Long story short, I'm trying to make a single player zombie shooter game, but I don't want people to cheat (currency, levels etc.. etc). I have my currency set up, but I'm a little confused on how I would set up a level system.

Because it's single player people could hack the client and send false data back, so I thought cloud script would be perfect.

However, there's a chance you could kill 60 enemies in 60 secs, at later levels. so firing a cloudscript call on each enemy death would be a bad idea right?

If so how would you be able to keep track of data to send say 3-5 times a minute without the client being able to change it?

I'm working with unreal engine blueprints, and I'd rather avoid making a server to handle logic like this and I thought cloudscript was the way to go until I heard about throatling.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

Regarding to how frequently you can call a Cloud Script from the client, general speaking, you can make a series of calls as long as you’re waiting for the response from the previous call. However, calls per minute should be controlled under a small amount during the lifetime of a player session. For more details, please refer to Brendan’s answer: https://community.playfab.com/answers/8396/view.html

If your game needs a more frequent update logic, a custom server would be the best way to go.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Lewis Herbert avatar image Lewis Herbert commented ·

I'm trying to avoid a server. As stated my games single player, because I dont really understand unreal engines replication. If I were to make a server then I would still have to replicate everything even for a single player game, which I don't want to do cause I might as well just make a multiplayer game.

Are there any work around or methods I'm unaware of to avoid the use of a server?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Lewis Herbert commented ·

There's no requirement to use a server, it's just that it would likely be cheaper than scripts, if you're calling more than a few times a minute. Our recommendation is to aggregate information for as long as possible on the client, in order to minimize the script calls.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.