question

Muhammad Roshaan Tariq avatar image
Muhammad Roshaan Tariq asked

Compare two datetime values in cloudscript

Hi, I want to compare two datetime values in cloudscript. One datetime should be the server timestamp and the other datetime is passed from client side as an argument. Is it possible?

CloudScript
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

Yes you can. Basically you will store a timestamp and Date.getTime() in JavaScript will be a good idea because the value returned by the getTime() method is the number of milliseconds since 1 January 1970 00:00:00. In terms of other languages, like C#, there is always a way to generate the same timestamp, for example, please refer to this thread: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8134170/c-sharp-version-of-javascript-date-gettime.

However, The scenario you have mentioned may have potential issue because if the timestamp is sent from the client, it can be manipulated and changed. I don’t know what is the detailed scenario but it will be safe to generate and store important timestamp only on the server side.

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Muhammad Roshaan Tariq avatar image Muhammad Roshaan Tariq commented ·

@SethDu

Can you please explain about the security risks involved from sending the timestamp from client side?

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ Muhammad Roshaan Tariq commented ·

If the players with enough knowledges on PlayFab, he will be able to send API on his own, which means they can create any timestamp in the request as they want.

0 Likes 0 ·
Muhammad Roshaan Tariq avatar image Muhammad Roshaan Tariq Muhammad Roshaan Tariq commented ·

@SethDu

But how can they know that this game is using Playfab as their backend service? And by what you have wrote I think all my client side requests are not protected at all.

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ Muhammad Roshaan Tariq commented ·

First, all the communication between client and PlayFab server is SSL enabled, which can guarantee the security of the communication contents. Hackers can capture the Http packets and know the destination IP address, besides they can unpack the client to see codes. The main idea I have mentioned is to limit the permissions of clients. Of course there won't be a simple 100% anti-cheating method, but take the timestamp scenario as an example, I will suggest let the server generate the timestamp. If the previous timestamp is generated when the player's last login and you want to know the time interval between last login and this time's. You may simply call the corresponding Cloud Script function without any argument and let it get the server time again, instead of sending the timestamp by the client because it is not trusted.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.