question

javier-diaz avatar image
javier-diaz asked

make multiplayer a simply game made in unity

Hi, Im new on this world. I've made a simple game in unity, is funcional right now, i would like start to learn how can i make it multiplayer, by web, (openGL). i lost right now, any advice is Welcome.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

PlayFab offers 2 separate multiplayer services. The Legacy multiplayer systems contains Legacy custom services and Matchmaker APIs in client APIs set. However, it is not recommended because the new multiplayer 2.0 is designed to replace it. Besides, there can be lack of documentation and support on it.

The new multiplayer system contains multiplayer server 2.0 and new matchmaking system. If you have implemented the server build, you may enable auto allocation feature for matchmaking queue so that the server instances will be created automatically after players are matched. In addition, the matchmaking system can work independently.

However, to implement the multiplayer depends on your requirements. If you don’t require a real-time multiplayer gaming, there are many workarounds, and PlayFab provides an official document to help you implement a Turn-based multiplayer Async games via Shared Group Data.

While if you need a real-time session-based game like DOTA, PUBG, you will need to enable the multiplayer 2.0 of PlayFab. Please refer to the documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/mpintro. Basically you will create a server build first. The servers are hosted on Azure, and they are maintained in Docker container(both windows and Linux are supported). You are free to use any development tools but you may need to refer to the official samples to know how it works:

GSDK is independent to the normal PlayFab SDK and is designed for PlayFab Multiplayer server 2.0. It is a must for a server build.

Then you will need to configure matchmaking Queue. Please remember that matchmaking can work independently, which means if it is a near-time or async games, you can still use Queue for matchmaking.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.