question

Andy Metcalfe avatar image
Andy Metcalfe asked

When will Servers 2.0 support external servers, for use with the new Matchmaker?

Hi all,

Just wondering when the new Servers 2.0/matchmaking system will have support for external servers. We're currently using the legacy servers system and have external servers working with the MatchMake api endpoint, however we're very keen to be able to use the new matchmaking system.

Do you have a date that this will be available?

Cheers,

Andy

Custom Game ServersMatchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

PlayFab’s new MatchMaking system only natively supports allocating the servers that hosted on PlayFab Multiplayer Servers2.0. PlayFab doesn’t provide some interfaces for integrating the external servers with MatchMaking.

However the PlayFab MatchingMaking service and Multiplayer Server 2.0 service are independent of each other, so, theoretically, you can use the Matchmaking service and your external servers in combination. But you need to implement the logic of allocating servers according to the MatchMaking’s result on your own.

If it’s necessary for you to integrate the external servers and PlayFab Matching Making Service, you can try to add a feature request for it. If you want to know our latest updates and development plans, please keep an eye on our roadmap.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Andy Metcalfe avatar image Andy Metcalfe commented ·

>>However the PlayFab MatchingMaking service and Multiplayer Server 2.0 service are independent of each other, so, theoretically, you can use the Matchmaking service and your external servers in combination. But you need to implement the logic of allocating servers according to the MatchMaking’s result on your own.

It would be great to hear some more information about this. I know that playfab won't obviously be able to spin up servers for me if I'm externally hosting them, however I want to be able to tell playfab about the ip address and ports of external servers that I have running (just like you can do with the old system with RegisterGame).

Do I build my own service in the middle of my players and playfab. The players send their matchmaking request to my service, which then submits them onto playfab and waits for a match. My service also knows about my external servers, and once a match is returned to my service, it returns the server details to the players?

Cheers,

Andy

1 Like 1 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.